Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Remote Car starter for Q7

Old 01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Default Remote Car starter for Q7

Has anyone attempted to have a remote starter (ie Viper) installed in a Q7. I used to have an FX35 (Infiniti) with FOB key start and the only way to integrate auto start was to hide a key in the engine compartment (since chip needed to be present). So I imagine that if it'spossible in a Q7,it wouldlikely need to be done the same way. Has anyone looked into this or had it done? I thoroughly enjoy my new Q7 but i do miss my remote start capability.

thanks

Old 11-30-2009, 08:50 PM

I have not tried installing a starter for the Q7. But a friend told me that it is quite difficult. I do not know much about the details but I did not attempt to try installing it myself.

Last edited by mikeross; 02-20-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:07 PM

I have had a remote start installed in my 2007 Q7. It was quite a task finding someone that was able to do it but eventually I found someone who does installation of remote starts and alarm systems freelance.

I was able to have a Viper 5901 system installed, however, the car did not take to it well. Though it starts, if I dont shut it off by pressing the brake pedal or the start button on the remote before putting my key into the ignition, the key will get locked in the ignition when it comes time to remove it. When the key is locked in the ignition, I have to move the key to the off position, press the start key on the remote, have the car start again using the remote, and then the key will slip out. Its strange, yes i know, but it gets the car warm before I leave for work in the morning.

The dealer would have charged $1,800 to install a remote start system on the Q7 but I was able to get it done for $550. The guy who installed it is still working on fixing this problem. He says that some sort of module is required in order to bypass the ignition lock. Remote start is a must have for the cold winters in New York.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Hi all, This is my very first day on this forum and I am happy to have found this thread because I have been wondering if it was possible to get the remote starter installed.

hseerratan, from your post I gather that Audi does do the installs then? I purchased my car last year and when I had inquired the dealer told me that Audi was still working on that capability. Is it available now?

Look forward to your feedback.
Thanx.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Yes, from my calls to the dealer, they are indeed able to install a remote start system for the Q7. However, the price is pretty hefty.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 PM

A must in cold New york weather? Come to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I'm not risking messing with the electronics on mine with a starter. It would be nice, but I'm going to tough it out with just my oil pan heater.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

im planning on installing a remote AC Delco Starter on my q7, i heard its pricey but can you guys give me an estimate figure of its cost. and can it be done the diy way?

Last edited by archebald23; 07-19-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 AM

now you can also install an application in your iPhone and start your Audi from where ever you are, but unfortunately at the moment they just running the system in the US only, still have to wait for a couple of months maybe, its the same company "Viper" the one who develop this technology.
I cant wait, I want one so badly

Old 12-01-2013, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Hey y'all! Sorry to necro-thread this one, but I have some info I'd love to share on the topic of Q7 remote starts.

I'm an MECP Advanced 12v install technician from central WI, and I work at a BestBuy install bay, so I do remote starts as like 90% of my installs from Nov to Feb every year.

I did a 2012 Q7 last winter for a remote start, and wanted to let you all in on the info I gathered from it. The system was a Viper 5901 with the SmartStart phone application. I used a Directed DBALL module for integration with the vehicle. Overall the install was very simple. The most difficult is disassembly, because some parts are VERY tough to get out (the little buttons on either side of the screen, for example).
The only issue with the install itself was that there was no PTS takeover after the vehicle was remote started, so to get in and drive away the key had to be inserted into the key cyl on the dash and turned on. However, it did not present an issue with being turned off like the hseeratan had.
Of course to get an RS installed a key does have to be given up and used in the install because of the immobilizer in the vehicle.

Overall a difficult installation, but not impossible.
If anyone's got any questions of anything my shop number is 715-343-7300. If you miss me feel free to leave a message or something! Even if you're not in WI and need help finding a good tech to do the install I know a lot of people across the country and can try to pair ya up with someone.

Cheers,
Isaac Troseth

Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default New audi 2014

Dear Isaac,

I have recently purchased audi Q7 2014 model but unfortunately it doesn't have autostart function. It's start with key ignition.

Is it possible to replace with autostart feature and where I can get it done. Is it through factory settings or can be done outside.

I appreciate your feedback.

Shah

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Car starter for Q7