Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Replace Q7 rear rotors

Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Replace Q7 rear rotors

Not much traffic here lately, but I have received a few positive comments on my front pad and rotor replacement, so now that it is time for the rears I figured I would do the same. Document it for my future use or for anyone else who can use it.

First a little history. Bought the car 3 years ago with 27K miles on it (2008 3.6 Premium). Now has 108,000 miles and the brake sensor went off. Still the original pads and rotors. I have done lots of brakes on a bunch of cars, and I have never wore the pads all the way down. So when the light went off I pulled the rear tires. Pads were really worn. So looked on line for a good write up of the rears and could not find one. Found one for pads, but no pads and rotors. I read that the rears were more complicated and more difficult and required special tools, but could not confirm that anywhere. Went to my manual and the instructions were basically take of the pads and rotors and replace.

Well had today off so last night looked for rotors and pads. Autozone had duralast rotors, pads, and sensors in stock so went and picked them up. Total cost $209.

This AM started the process and here is what I have learned so far.

1 - you do need special tools
2 - you do need special tools

The calipers are held on by some weird 12pt male 16mm bolt. No one in Akron sells the tool (Checked Autozone, Advance, O'Reillys, and Harbor Freight).

Got the pads off before I figures that out. The rotors were till smooth but had a 2mm lip so I figured they had to go.

There is also one of the weird 12pt things on the rotor (4or5mm size).

So put he new pads on the bad rotors and ordered the parts I need.

So will start the step by step next Sat. Until then...

Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

I'm doing the same project as you. I did the fronts last night which ended up being easier than i thought. When i took off the rear wheels i noticed the bolts were different and that i did not have the proper tools. I ended up ordering the following which i was told from another forum will have the right sockets to complete the job.

Capri Tools XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, Metric, 10-Piece - - Amazon.com Capri Tools XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, Metric, 10-Piece - - Amazon.com

Did you end up completing the rears?

Old 09-24-2014, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

Well this is what I did. I replaced just the pads.

I ordered the special sockets but needed the car. The pads were $23 at Autozone. I was able to compress the pistons (no special tools needed) without taking the caliper off, so I just dropped in the new pads.

Still have the rotors and now the proper tools. Just missing time.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

And those sockets will work. You need the 16 for the caliper and a smaller one on the rotor.

If you look for Cayenne rear brakes you will find more info. I will post a how to when I do it.

I am still looking for the caliper bolts they recommend replacing when you do this. Can't find an Audi part number. Anyone know if they are the same as the cayenne?

Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dgjks6
And those sockets will work. You need the 16 for the caliper and a smaller one on the rotor.

If you look for Cayenne rear brakes you will find more info. I will post a how to when I do it.

I am still looking for the caliper bolts they recommend replacing when you do this. Can't find an Audi part number. Anyone know if they are the same as the cayenne?
I got the tool yesterday in the mail and it seems it will work. I plan to do the job this saturday i will keep you posted. As for the part numbers i just call the audi dealership with my VIN number and i tell them what im looking for. Once they tell me the price and if they have them in stock or not i then ask them for the part numbers. I then tell them i will stop by when i can and thank you. I then go on line and compare the price from what the dealership told me and make a decision from there to order them online or go to the dealership and pick them up. Been doing this for years.

Just some more info to help out.

GermanAutoParts.com : Audi Q7 Brake

Not sure if this is the right bolt but i think they can help.

Search ES1894565 - N91168901 - Rear Caliper Carrier Bolt - Priced Each - ES#1894565

Old 09-20-2016, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Did you guys ever complete the job on rotors? I am needing to change out pads and rotors. Your posts were very very helpful!!

Old 09-21-2016, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

Weird this would pop up now. The answer is sort of.

So a few months ago I decided to look at the rears and see how hard it would be. I am still on original rotos at 160,000 miles.

So I disassembeld the rears and took the rotors off just to see how hard it would be.

The rears are simple if you hve the right tool and a little knowledge.

The only difficult part is loosening the parking brake inside the rotor so you can get the rotor off.

I just ordered new rotors two days ago and going to put on thie weekend.

Any questions jsut ask. If you want I can take pics and post the process.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

Yes please! Post pics and post products! I have ordered the tools and looking into pads and rotors. I have autozone and advanced auto parts near my home. I have 170k miles on my Q and I'm pretty sure I have original rotors on it. (I'm the 2nd owner) I'm pretty sure it's rubbing on it. Hopefully changing them out this weekend!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Do you have to change out the brake sensors too?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

I susally replace the hardware and the sensors. The pins are covered with brake dust and are a pain to get out. I have to tap them out with a screw driver or punch. You could cleanthem up and put them back in. The sensors are usually fused to the pads.

IIRC
1 jack up with jack stands
2 remove tire
3 remove pin and clip
4 - compress calipers with rotos still in place (I have a tool for this)
5 - remove pads
6 - remove sensor
7 - remove caliper bracket (you need the 16pt star thing for this)
8 - remove screw holding on rotor
9 - rotate rotor until you can loosen the parking brake inside the rotor
10 - remove rotor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Q7 rear rotors