Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2001 Tonneau cover install

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:43 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Tonneau cover install

Greetings!

I just purchased an exceptionally clean black tonneau cover for my 01 TT.
I've read the printed instructions on the center inside panel and I'm confident that I can comprehend "said" instructions but I'm struggling with its installation.
Does anyone have photos of a "how to" install this? Its hard to explain but it seems every place I try to attach it seems to be awkward. Any visual aids to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Rudy

Old 09-14-2015, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

I can't believe it. Of the (188) One hundred eighty-eight views, not one person has a MK1 tonneau cover?
I'm amazed. Since this is a "forum", one would hope joining such an exclusive club of the Audi TT, members would be
more than willing to share with others.

Well, after trial and error, I finally figured it out.
The instructions on the back of the tonneau cover were vague and inaccurate.
The instructions in my owners manual were better written to the application and within 5 minutes, I had it installed.
So, for those of you who have one and would like a step by step a "How to" install the tonneau cover, refer to the following:

I have a photo gallery in order according to the following instructions.
I can only submit five photos at a time, so I will be posting concurrent replies so you can see the entire installation process.

1st pic: The tonneau cover ID info.
2nd pic: The back side of tonneau cover.

Step 1 - 3rd pic:
With the tonneau cover outside of the car,
take the two nylon straps, pull them to the back side of tonneau cover.

Step 1A: 4th pic:
Connect both of the nylon straps to the two molded plastic hooks -
See the 4th pic on the back side of tonneau cover.

Step 2: With both doors open, pulling up the two outer nylon straps, center your tonneau cover over the collapsed convertible top.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Tonneau cover install-1-id.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-2-back-side-tonneau-cover.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-step-1.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-step-1a.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-step-2.jpg  

Last edited by Rudy's 01 TT Quattro; 09-14-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

Step 2A:
Allow the tonneau cover to rest above and outside the top storage compartment.

Step 2B:
One at a time, hook the underside of tonneau cover behind the ends of your collapsed convertible top.

Step 3:
Press down the outer corners of the tonneau covers' nylon edge under the rubber inner strip within the convertible top storage compartment.

Step 3A:
Press down the rearward portion of the tonneau covers' nylon edge under the rubber inner strip within the convertible top storage compartment.

Step 4:
Press down the forward portion of the tonneau covers' nylon edge under the hard plastic trim that surrounds the power glass windscreen.

Note: The tonneau covers' nylon edge needs effort to get it to slide down into position.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Tonneau cover install-step-2a.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-step-2b.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-step-3.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-step-3a.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-step-4.jpg  

Old 09-14-2015, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Step(s) 5 and 6:
Align, push down and engage the retainer clips of tonneau cover on each side, behind the seat belt retractors.
Once engaged, the release buttons will pop out.

The last photos show a "fit like a glove" nice clean fit and finish of the tonneau cover to the convertible top storage compartment.

Hope this helps.

Rudy

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Tonneau cover install-step-5.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-step-6.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-installed-tonneau-cover-view-1.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-installed-tonneau-cover-view-2.jpg   2001 Tonneau cover install-installed-tonneau-cover-view-3.jpg  

Last edited by Rudy's 01 TT Quattro; 09-14-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Tonneau install

Thanks for posting that, Rudy. My roadster doesn't have a cover--I've been keeping an eye out for one. Your post will be come in handy once I finally find it. I like the look of the car with the boot covered. Do you think it's worth the effort or will it get tiresome putting the thing on and off?

Your photos are the first I've seen of the desert green up close. Very nice!

Old 09-14-2015, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Rudy. Mine came used without one. The trunk is pretty small already, and the manual says to keep the top up whenever possible to prevent fabric creasing, so I priced them and decided against buying one.
But yours looks great with the cover attached. And now we have a definitive how-to available for the masses. Cool!

Old 09-20-2015, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mollyz
Thanks for posting that, Rudy. My roadster doesn't have a cover--I've been keeping an eye out for one. Your post will be come in handy once I finally find it. I like the look of the car with the boot covered. Do you think it's worth the effort or will it get tiresome putting the thing on and off?

Your photos are the first I've seen of the desert green up close. Very nice!
I found out in a quick hurry the evening I wrote the instructions on how to install the tonneau cover how quick it came off and I had to quick get it in the trunk and put up the convertible top. If your traveling on a day where there is no rain in the forecast, its worth the time to install.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by miamisam
Thanks Rudy. Mine came used without one. The trunk is pretty small already, and the manual says to keep the top up whenever possible to prevent fabric creasing, so I priced them and decided against buying one.
But yours looks great with the cover attached. And now we have a definitive how-to available for the masses. Cool!
Greetings!

Indeed, the trunk is small, with the top up or down and once you put the tonneau cover in it, not a lot of space left. Please, take no offense with what I'm about to say. To quote part of your post: "Keep the top up whenever possible to prevent fabric creasing, so I priced them and decided against buying one". Lol. Seriously? Read what you just said. "Keep the top up whenever possible to prevent fabric creasing". Why on earth would you buy a convertible to keep the top up to prevent creasing. Really? I do not know where you live so I will give you a slice of "real time". I live in West Michigan. All four seasons. I just took the car out of storage (6 months in a desiccant induced coma). I have parked my "daily driver" and drive my TT, rain or not. No salt, no harm. When I know its going to be sunny and 60 degrees or more, the top goes down. Honestly, it may take you 15 minutes the first time you attempt to put on the tonneau cover, but that's it. You know as well as I do that the car is not only as blast to drive, but extremely stylish! If you want that exceptional "classic, clean look", you will regret not having the tonneau cover. Just be patient. Search Craigslist in cities where your within a reasonable distance away or will be vacationing near (this is how I worked it out with the seller when I bought mine). On e-bay, some ask outrageous amounts while others have pricing within reason. I lucked out with the area I took vacation and searched within 100 miles for it. In my opinion, it's not complete without it. After a couple of tries, you will have it installed in 5 minutes and out in one minute. Trust me on that. Again, lol.

Last edited by Rudy's 01 TT Quattro; 05-06-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Like I said Rudy, I love your cover and would use one too if it had one.
"Miami Sam" was the family cat, I'm in Iowa. And I run with the top down and seat heaters on anytime it's above freezing. It's fun to see the reactions from other drivers...

Yeah, Audi's recommendation to keep the top up when stored looks kinda silly on paper. Having a rear window de-laminate and the defroster wire snap isn't fun... Not sure whether it was from the previous owner's behavior or not.
So per Audi recommendations I put the top down when I'm driving and leave it up (and unlocked) in the garage at night. It's been converted to manual, piece o'cake to flip it up.

Rock on, man. Any day going topless (especially with the girlfriend LOL) is a good day.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by miamisam
Like I said Rudy, I love your cover and would use one too if it had one.
"Miami Sam" was the family cat, I'm in Iowa. And I run with the top down and seat heaters on anytime it's above freezing. It's fun to see the reactions from other drivers...

Yeah, Audi's recommendation to keep the top up when stored looks kinda silly on paper. Having a rear window de-laminate and the defroster wire snap isn't fun... Not sure whether it was from the previous owner's behavior or not.
So per Audi recommendations I put the top down when I'm driving and leave it up (and unlocked) in the garage at night. It's been converted to manual, piece o'cake to flip it up.

Rock on, man. Any day going topless (especially with the girlfriend LOL) is a good day.
Sorry to hear about the delaminating rear window. I can see now where that could be a problem. As for "Audi recommendations" putting the top up in the garage at night and driving with the top down, I must have missed that in your earlier post. Didn't mean to be rude. It makes perfect sense to park it with the top up, I would do the same also. So you converted to a manual top? I've often thought that when the motor goes out, I would do the same. So your from Iowa? Another powerhouse BIG 10 school! Great! My Alma-maters biggest nemesis. Lol.
Have a good one and hopefully we chat about our TTs again.

Quick Reply: 2001 Tonneau cover install