Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2001 TT engine fault code

Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 TT engine fault code

Hello,

I finally decided to buy a VAG COM OBD code reader since my check engine light has been on for several months (not flashing...just the "pay $100 to see what I have to say whenever you get a chance" light). I found two codes, one related to the engine and one to the central locking/alarm:

engine:
17536 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Multi.) System Too Lean P1128 - 35-00

central locking/alarm:
00955 - key 1 09-10 Adaptation Limit Surpassed - Intermittent

Any suggestions about the possible cause for the 17536 code? Is this something that should be addressed soon, or is it simply indicating that the engine is not running at peak efficieny?

Thanks much,
Mike

Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 PM

hey man check out this post. Different car, different code, but same problem. I'm having the same deal. If this helps you out, could you post what you did? It'll help out others that run into the same thing. Hope this works for you.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...t=running+lean

Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear

I had a different issue, but still a long term lean issue. I cleaned my intake filter, maf, and iat sensor, unplugged the battery for 15 minutes, reconnected and havent had the code come back yet.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

could be bad MAF

Old 02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

Finchster15...I checked out the link and I'd be happy to give it a try. But I'll have to show my ignorance. What's a MAF (and IAT sensor, as was suggested also)? I don't have a repair manual for this car, so if you could point me to a procedure, I'll give it a go. I have the car garaged for the winter, but I'm looking for a reason to run it for a while every week or so. I've never had a car that hates not running as much as the TT. All of my issues have been after the winter hibernation. The battery in particular is an issue.

Also, regarding unplugging the battery...shouldn't I have to enter a security code to reactivate the stereo after doing this? The manual says so, but I had some work done a while back that required the battery to be removed. I anticipated a radio issue, but it came back without having to enter a code.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Default mness4...

Your MAF (mass airflow sensor) is right between your intake manifold and the intake hose. It's bolted to the manifold, has a hose clamp connecting it to the intake hose, and has an electrical harness connected to it. I'm not a TT guy but from my quick research, the intake manifold is on the front of the engine while looking at the car, front to back. Be careful when cleaning this because they can be pretty sensitive. Use something that doesn't require a lot of wiping, just a spray that evaporates quickly. They do sell a specific spray at many auto parts dealers that should get the job done. If you can't find any, electric parts cleaner will work. You can use this on pretty much any of the sensors in your car. As for your IAT (intake air temp sensor), I haven't seen a TT in person to point you towards it. But being that it's an intake air temp sensor, it will be somewhere on your intake line, usually in the airbox. Both procedures are the same. It's always best to disconnect the battery, but I've not heard of any problems happening when it is not (although I'm not too sure about the Audi's...). Disconnect the electrical line, remove the part, clean away. Reinstall and check the results. You might want to try the same on the Oxygen sensor, located usually in or shortly after the exhaust manifold (opposite side of the engine as the intake). As far as I know the battery disconnect is mostly to reset the computer and clear the fault codes.

As for the battery disconnect killing your radio, the power loss causes the radio to go into a useless mode unless you know the code to reactivate it, but I could be wrong. Always best to double check that one with the pros...

Old 02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
4th Gear

regaurding as to why you didnt have to re-enter the radio code is probably because whoever took out the battery also put the code back in... it will always need it whenever the battery is unplugged so hang onto that code.

as for your CEL, as suggested, the MAF is a good place to start

Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
5th Gear

And Finchies instructions are backwards.

MAF is just after the airbox, use MAF cleaner to clean it (you can get it at most autoparts stores)
The IAT sensor is just after the throttle body, screwed into the intake manifold. Little 2 wire thing, easy to spot. You can use the MAF cleaner on that as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
5th Gear

oh yeah, and 2000 models were finickey with the radio code, and maybe some 01's, but later years usually wont need a radio code entered unless the radio was removed from the car. I have an electrical kill switch in my car, its been pulled plenty of times, I've never needed to enter a radio code, I don't even lose my presets.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

I have an 01 and I have had the battery out of my car for hours and never had to reenter the code.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 TT engine fault code