Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Audi TT Can bad gas cause check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Default Audi TT Can bad gas cause check engine light?

OK I have a 2004 Quattro TT with the 1.8T.

My wife had it out over the weekend and apparently she got lost and got gas in this backwoods gas station and she got the cheapest gas there. Nevermind I have told her a million times only to get premium but that is a different story.

Anyways, this morning when I drove the TT, the check engine light was blinking and the PSI for the turbo would only go to 5psi (so it is in limp mode). The car was running horribly. I took it to Autozone to find out what the check engine light code was and they told me it was cylinder mis-fire.

I am wondering if this can all be due to bad gasoline. I know that bad gas can make your car run badly but I had never heard of it causing the check engine light to come on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by doadea; 01-19-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
3rd Gear

sounds like 1 of your coil packs went out. bad gas wouldnt have caused it. the only time you would really notice a HUGE difference when running shitty gas would be if your car were chipped.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by warranty225cpe
sounds like 1 of your coil packs went out. bad gas wouldnt have caused it. the only time you would really notice a HUGE difference when running shitty gas would be if your car were chipped.

My car IS chipped. I have the Unitronics +1 program. Someone already said it may be a coil pack...but that would be one huge coincidence. After the gas has run out and I refill it with good stuff, I will see if it is still doing it. If it is, my coil packs are covered by the recall. I need to get that done anyways.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear

I've had all of my coil packs go at the worst times possible. They are def the weak point of ign system.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear

Put octane booster in the tank

Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

Put octane booster in the tank

Old 03-15-2010, 04:56 PM

I have a 2004 A4 1.8T quattro and pulled up to a stop sign and the car started shaking horribly and the check engine light went on. checked the oil right away and was a little low but not low enough to make that happen. Started looking online and saw it might be the coil packs and learned how to check the cp's. Did that and the shaking was still there. I went back to autozone and they told me if it was bad gas that octane booster would help. So I threw some in there and waited a bit and still nothing. Went back to Autozone and they gave me a product called gumout or something like that. it basically runs through your system and gets rid of water and anything else that you wouldn't want runnin through your fuel system. Let that sit over night and the car was running a little better but still shaking. I'll be taking it into Audi in a few days and they'll clean out the fuel system and see what's wrong. I also had just filled up from bottom to full so that gumout may work just the fact that I was on a full tank may be a little much for that bottle. Hopefully this doesn't cost too much.