Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Bluetooth handfree not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 AM
1st Gear
Red face Bluetooth handfree not working

I've got a 2004 Audi TT, and it came with a factory fitted phone prep low generation 2 fitted. A few days ago I bought a genuine Audi bluetooth module to fit to it (Part number 8P0051440A) which I double checked for compatibility with the the phone prep for the car; absolutely fine.

I treated myself to a Blackberry Torch 9810 (The latest one). Absolutely great phone; fast, intuitive etc. Love this phone and wouldn't dream of changing it. One of the reasons I got this phone also is because it supports SIM Access Protocol. This will allow a Bluetooth connection to the Audi module an the module takes over the phone so it can access contacts and it will use the internal Antenna in the car rather than the phones. Obviously it should also use the internal car speakers and the microphone that's located on the dash board.

I connected the phone without any trouble at all (I entered the 16 digit number which can be awkward to do in the allocated 30/35 second time limit). Bluetooth connection made; the phone displayed it was working in SAP mode, and the phone name appeared to be connected on the modules display. I thought 'WOW' that was easy (Doh! ).

I checked the contacts on the module and it said it was empty. I thought 'OK, I can live without them if I need to as I mostly need it for handfree when someone called me'. The signal strength and even battery level was displayed on the module as well. (Bonus I thought).

On the M62 in the middle of traffic while listening to the radio I get a call. Cool I thought. I pressed the answer button on the module. The number of the caller came on the dash board display (Even more cool). This is as cool as it gets now though!! The radio carried on playing so no handfree caller sound was heard at all, I said 'hello' several times, put the sound down on the radio, fiddled with it (No caller sound at all). They hung up after a while.

Still on the M62, now at a standstill; they call again. No sound from the caller again. I quickly picked up the phone to see if anything is coming from it sound wise (nothing at all).

This occured 3 times.

Finally got to my destination and I called them back without handfree, and they said they could hear me crystal clear.

I've since experimented to see if they were hearing me through the car's microphone or Blackberry's microphone. I put the phone in a sturdy bag in the boot of the car and tested it with a call, and I do come through loud and clear. This means the car's microphone is picking me up perfectly; but no caller sound is coming through the car's speakers at all. The radio doesn't even attempt to cut out or dim down during the making or receiving of calls.

I've tried it also with a different phone (BENQ E72), and this did it as well.

I've checked the wiring in the back of the radio, and it all wires that exist are plugged in.

I'm going to try it with 2 more different phones in the mean time, but I think the problem is with the module. There is a USB connection which I'm led to believe can be used to udpate the software for it, but I don't know where I would get this from or how to update it.

I had a slight wierdness yesterday. I was parked up and attempted to make a call, and when I went to the phonebook in the module it looked like it was filled in. I called my house and my name appeared on the dash board. However, it only lasted about 1 minutes because when I tried it again it said the phonebook was empty.

I'm not fussed about the phone book. Solution would be nice, but getting the handfree to work through the car's speakers is essential because without it I don't have handfree.

If anyone has experience this or if there is anything I can try, please let me know. I'm pretty desperate.

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth handfree not working-8p0051440a.jpg