Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

catastrophic power steering failure.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Default catastrophic power steering failure.

sorry for the long post just dont want to leave out any important info.
Okay one morning a few months ago i started my car and heard the sound of a hydraulic pump under load. My first thought was that the power steering pump was failing. checked the fluid and it was gone. the dealer quoted me $1600 for parts and labor for a new rack, and topped it off. i don't have those kinda funds right now. so i had been topping it off and working as much overtime as i can.
i would usually have to top it off about every 300 miles or so. last night it failed completely. i filled it while it was running and it was pouring out as fast as i could fill it!
this makes me suspect it was a hose all along. and that the leaking hose finally failed completely. also, there is a sound like air and liquid being expelled at pressure from right under the brake pedal when i return the wheels to a forward direction. if i didn't know better i would think i could see the leak by peeling back the carpet.
i will be borrowing jack stands tomorrow to get a better look. in the meantime does anyone have a diagram of the power steering system? does anyone think the rack could leak so rapidly? and what could the "punctured lung" sound under the brake pedal be?

Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Fist thing to look for is where the leak is coming from. I sounds like the high pressure lines but could be anywhere.

""""""the dealer quoted me $1600 for parts and labor for a new rack""""

if he was correct then the rack is leaking.

Certainly you will have a huge pool of p.s fluid on the ground. Get the car up int the air and remove the front undertray....flashlight around.

Note that you should be using only VAG power steering fluid and no other.