Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:35 AM
1st Gear
Default CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!

Ok I am telling you guys, believe the hype!!! My 01 TT 225 just turned 66,000 and sure as SHI$ the belt broke. The car is currently in the shop and has been for a day and a half and I am hearing that I have bent valves and may need cylinder heads as well. The damage and the estimate is yet to be determined. This couldnt have come at a worse time too, I recently like last month became engaged and am having to plan a wedding, and Wednesday of last week my girlfriend.....I mean Fiance told me that I am going to be a dad too. HEAVY!! Anyway they are saying the bill will be between 2500 and 5000. OUCH!!! I am going to have to take out a loan just to pay for it. However [sm=b/adbadbad.gif].... I am thinkin about taking some extra cash in the loan and upgrading the turbo to the Garrett T6. Not sure if I should do it with a kid on the way, but its a sign right? Anyway, do what he say and change your friggen belts!!! That is unless you need an excuse to upgrade a few components.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:47 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!

Hmmm.... I'm at 68,000.... Was just getting ready to order up a timing belt kit. Guess I better get on that...

Thanks for the warning.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: aTiTude

I am thinkin about taking some extra cash in the loan and upgrading the turbo to the Garrett T6. Not sure if I should do it with a kid on the way, but its a sign right?
No it's not a sign. I would downgrade the flowers, drinks and food at the wedding before taking out a loan to pay for the repairs. If your fiance doesn't understand, then make her understand. Stay out of debt if at all humanly possible; it's my new mantra.

I feel for ya man. Good luck with the wedding and the kid. Being a dad is difficult at times, but overall it's fun as ***.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

I would definately get started on ordering that belt. I got the estimate yesterday. 4500 bucks for a new cylnder head (complete), new water pump, belt and tensioner with 11.4 hrs of labor. [:@] Needless to say it was a quiet night at home. I wish it were that easy Jukeit, unfortunately money is tight all around. The wedding is going to be very small and inexpensive as neither of the immediate families have an ubandance of cash the wedding is on me. Pretty much just gonna be me, the Fiance, my best man her brides maid, the immediate family and a few friends. I got a friend who is a minister and will do the ceremony for me for free, so that helps. I think it will be outside so that should make it a little cheaper then renting a church. Anyway you get the idea. BareBones.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

Right on, I understand. Congrats on the baby and the marriage. Good luck with the car.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

right on. Thanks mang.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Yo, my car is at 42400, when you think i should change my timing belt, and if i do get it changed can me and my brother, who is good at that kinda ****, do it, or should i patronize the local autohaus? and how much would either of the two cost?

Old 09-30-2005, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

Im not sure if I can/should give you an exact time of replacement. I would hate to tell you the wrong thing. What I will say is that all of the reports that i have read, and from what I have seen 60,000 would be a good time. My car made it until 66,000, but who knows, not something to gamble with. If I had to do it all over again, as soon as I rolled 60K I would have set up an appointment.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

Oh and in response to your question as to if you and your bro could do it. Honestly Im not sure. I took my to the dealer because of the damage. If I had an entire weekend and no damage, I may have tried to do it myself. It depends on your mechanic ability. I am an aircraft mechanic, and I am a little hesitant to attack it. But its your call. I definately wouldnt do it with out a manual though. Just my two cents.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

Ok final bill for the damage.....drum roll please...............$5,010.59 [:@]

Quick Reply: CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!