Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Changing Oil and Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Default Changing Oil and Oil Filter

I have a 2002 Audi TT 1.8 Turbo M6. Can someone post a how to do, oil change and oil filter on this car. Pictures will also help. THank you in advance for posting

Old 09-22-2005, 06:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Changing Oil and Oil Filter

Well I just changed my oil and filter on my 01 TT quattro, and figure it's probably similar.
Jack car up.
remove oil plug.
loosen and remove oil filter..
ahh the oil filter. I had to wrestle with it to get it out, and there's no way to not get oil on some of the engine, but it barely squeezes out the bottom.
re-install new filter.
make sure drain plug is in.
fill with synthetic oil, 4.8 qts or something like that.
lower car.
start.
enjoy new oil.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 PM
5th Gear

I've heard of removing that big black piece of tubing that crosses infront of the engine, so you can get to the filter alot easier. I haven't tried that yet though, I will next oil change. JUST BE SURE to put it back in, its a structural support, and you need it. Also helps to get the car as far off the ground as you can, so you'll have plenty of elbow room to wrestle the filter around if you dont get that support out. I found it pulled out a little easier if you moved it slightly towards the driver side when you go to pull the old filter out. Regardless, you'll get oil everywhere. have some sawdust or something handy, and plenty of rags to wipe down the front of the engine. Other that that, good luck!

Old 09-30-2005, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

From what I know the big black piece of tubing is attached to the frame with huge bolts and is a Bit*h to remove the oil filter does come out fine without removing the bar and some space squeezing techniques.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:08 AM
1st Gear

Well, the bar removal ease depends on if you have a 180HP or a 225 HP. Both are identical except that the 225 uses that bas a piping between the two intercoolers. (The 180HP only has one intercooler) It would actually be easier and time-saving to just unscrew the filter, then squeeze it out between the bar and the radiator. The bar bends back toward the engine right near a coolant hose that is clamped down the the radiator crossmember. You can fiddle with the clamp holding the coolant hose, but if you just push on the hose toward the driver's side, you can start squeezing the filter past it. (It is easier to feed the solid end first, as there is a lip on the open end) Then get a finger or two on the open end of the filter and push it thru. Put a light coat of oil on the new filter, and feed it thru the same spot, feeding the solid end first. Screw it on the oil cooler. Grab some degreaser and spray the heck out of the engine in that area, be sure to get all the oil off the lip right under the oil cooler, where the oil pan and engine block meet.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
5th Gear

Its such a mess though... I really think there should be a law or something that it shouldn't be required that you degrease your engine after every oil change.

Maybe I'll relocate the filter...

Old 02-25-2006, 01:56 PM

what kinda of oil do you guys use, i need to change it in my 2000 tt soon also.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:41 PM
5th Gear

mobil 1, full synthetic. 5W30

Oh, and I found its A TON easier if you remove the plastic engine cover, the smaller L shaped cover over the fuel rail, and remove/install the filter from the top.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

How often do we need to change our oil? I've heard every 5k.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

How often do we need to change our oil? I've heard every 5k.

Quick Reply: Changing Oil and Oil Filter