Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Convertible top replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

I am looking into replacing the top on my 03 audi tt and doing it myself, as well. (due to a Renovo color job that went horribly wrong) Have you finished the job and are there
any problems I should look out for?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Things to know in preparation

There are a few things you will need to get a hold of to do this job. First, you will need to order two new stopper sets for the bottom bow. You can find them online for $20 per set. The set includes a new black plastic stopper and 2 giant pop rivets. That said, you will need a giant pop rivet gun that can handle 1/4 inch pop rivets ( usually not found at Home Depot). You can gate a regular pop rivet gun at Home Depot, or wherever, and expect to use 1/8 inch pop rivets on the smaller areas of the bow that has them. Another thing to get is double sided adhesive trim tape for hooking the top to the bows before replacing the brackets that screw into the bow. When replacing the brackets on the middle bows, try not to over stretch them or it will create dimples in the top. Another thing to think about while doing this is removing the entire bow structure from the car. I kept it on the car thinking it would have been easier, but it was a giant pain in the ***. Removing the bow structure also helps you get to the hard to reach angles better while protecting the glass window. There are some diagrams out there online that can help and a procedure in the Bentley manual that shows how to remove the top, but if you go slow and document your progress, it shouldn't be too hard. Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
1st Gear
Default DIY top replacement

It seems your project worked out well. Congrats!
Thanks so much 4 the info. I've been looking all over the internet but can't find a diagram. If u can, please post any link that might help.
Thanks again.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Link

This is a link to a parts store for a dealership that I found. 2003 Audi TT CONVERTIBLE/SOFT TOP Frame & components Strut assy Audi Henderson Parts

It isn't much, but I was able to use this diagram and the one in the Bentley manual to get the job finished. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

That's more than I was able to find. I appreciate it. I'll also check the Bentley.
Thanks so much.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

I find it odd we are all suffering from the same problem, but no one is speaking to the root cause. Audi and VW convertible tops are of inferior quality, the glass falls out. If you purchase the factory replacement top, plan on this failure reoccurring after 5 years of regular use. The aftermarket tops appears to last longer than the oem original. Interesting symptom don't you think.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Hey Nick I Pm'd you and thanks a bunch for the insightful post. There is little info about this and this was much more than expected. Cheers

Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

my insurance company covered it, i just came out one day and the glass had fallen out ( into the car ) it was super hot though,,,,, i claimed vandalism, and insurance paid.....

Old 06-18-2016, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

Clinke...I see you haven't been on in a few years, but I'm hoping you get an email of this.

Where was the shop you had sew the new rear window on? I just bought a 2002, and got it for a steal because the seem around the rear window is giving way. Don't want to drop $1,500 or more on a full replacement.

Thank you,

Old 07-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Default Youtube Video on How to Remove Audi TT Top

Hey guys I'm new to the forum but I just thought I'd add this link to a youtube video on how to remove the top for anyone considering DIY.

I just recently installed a new top on my 04' TT and it was hard to find information online on how to remove and install.

Here's the link

Also, I did find one company that sells the top with instructions and I called to buy the instructions only (because I already had my top)...they declined the offer.

Hope this link helps someone out!