Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Engine Temperature/ Transmission Shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gaber6
I replaced all parts related to overheating a few times. I think it may be the fault of bad aftermarket parts.. Who knows. The last fix that fixed it was the Fan Control Module. Could also be the fan switch in the radiator, or the fans themselves. FCM and switch are pretty cheap fixes.
After checking it is now clear that the larger cooling fan (drivers side) does not run. All fuses are OK, the smaller one runs when engine is hot and also when AC is running but the larger one does not run.

Where is the fan control module located? How to check if it is bad or if the fan itself is bad. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 AM
1st Gear

the fcm is underneath the battery box. i would put 12v on the connection to the large fan disconnected from the fcm harness and directly from your battery or a 12v DC source to test.
mine was blown so i bought a Dorman replacement fan shroud assembly from autozone and fans work properly. Unfortunately, i believe it is my waterpump that is bad. i'm still in the midst of changing that out and i'm working 2 jobs so i haven't had much time to work on the car.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Clrwatrtom
the fcm is underneath the battery box. i would put 12v on the connection to the large fan disconnected from the fcm harness and directly from your battery or a 12v DC source to test.
mine was blown so i bought a Dorman replacement fan shroud assembly from autozone and fans work properly. Unfortunately, i believe it is my waterpump that is bad. i'm still in the midst of changing that out and i'm working 2 jobs so i haven't had much time to work on the car.
Can you please briefly explain how one removes the fan. Looks like the fan shroud is fixed with 4 screws, the uppers one are accessible from the top but the lower ones can only be accessed from the bottom?
Looks like the upper radiator hose is in the way, does this have to be removed?
Thanks for your help.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by magarmuch
Can you please briefly explain how one removes the fan. Looks like the fan shroud is fixed with 4 screws, the uppers one are accessible from the top but the lower ones can only be accessed from the bottom?
Looks like the upper radiator hose is in the way, does this have to be removed?
Thanks for your help.
sorry it's been so long to reply. remove the 4 screws, disconnect the fan connections and the radiator mounted temp sensor. jack the car up, remove the tubular lower frame support/225hp intercooler tube held in with 3 bolts on each side. you'll also have to drop the power steering cooler from this support and let it dangle. then you can get the fan shroud out from the bottom. it isn't easy, but it can be done. with a little ingenuity, you can test both fans without removing the shroud from the radiator. it will take some long leads but it can be done quite easily. be creative, and have fun.
tom