Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

ESP traction control warning light issue. Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Default ESP traction control warning light issue. Audi TT

Hi. I've read a number of posts on yaw sensors and I am wondering if this is the same as the Lateral Acceleration Sensor?... I am getting a 1423 error code and the ESP light is staying on (amber triangle light in Tacho guage). I went to an Audi workshop recently and they diagnosed the error and then cleared the code. The problem went away for a week and has now come back??.. I was told that the code was a 'Hard Code' what ever that means??... I'm hoping it is a loose connection or something simple. I had the battery replaced just prior to taking it to the workshop as I knew it was in poor shape and thought it might be a low voltage problem. Codes were then cleared, warning light went out and is now back on again. Can anyone tell me where to look for the L.A.S. sensor so I can clean and check the connection before getting it replaced?.... My local euro workshop tells me that it is in the centre console, the Audi dealership tells me it is at the rear suspension and I've also heard that it could be under the dash... This is a 2000 model RHD car by the way.... I've also heard that the same issue can sometimes be related to the ABS sesnsors... I'd prefer to check connections first rather than risk random sensor replacement until the problem is eliminated? Confused.....

Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm make believe

when i broke the connection to my abs, it stated where the problem was (front right) and said it failed with a vagcom cable. Not sure what the code was. It should tell exactly what sensor failed and where when you pull the codes.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks cincyTT. I don't think the issue with mine is ABS related as the error code did state the Lateral Acceleration sensor and as you say the diagnostic should be quite specific. I'm thinking that the dealership may have been giving me a bum steer as it was the spare parts dept that I was speaking with and they aren't technical people. They did talk with the workshop and I suspect that the story became confused in the translation between them. I'm preferring to head down the path of the sensor being either in the centre console or under the dash at this stage.. Question is where exactly?......

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 AM

Ok I've removed the under dash cover (RHD vehicle) and to the right of the steering column is a relay board and to the left of the column, mounted high and in line with the clutch pedal are the two black box units you see in the photo below. They aren't exactly easy to pull out due to the top mounted nuts being sunk way down deep inside the bracket so before I go pretending I'm made of rubber can anyone confirm if these are the G200 & G251 sensors? Thanks.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 AM
2nd Gear

I dont mean to sound incredibly naive... but what is Lateral Acceleration?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 AM

L.A.S. is the sensor that measures loss of traction in the horizontal plane. i.e Lateral or sideways acceleration.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM

Here is the latest on my 1423 Lateral Acceleration Sensor error code. I might be speaking up too soon but I think the symptom may have been cured without having to go to the expense of replacing the sensor. Firstly I replaced the battery because I knew it to be faulty and low on voltage. This would have been the cause of numerous system communication error codes. Then after much research I found the G200 sensor and disconnected the terminal and sprayed it with contact cleaner and refitted it. I also pulled all of the fuses from the RH side of dash mounted fuse box to check for any that might have blown. This would have also worked the contacts in case any had become compromised. From there I took the car for a couple of good long runs and I cycled the ESP switch several times and leaving it on for a while to work that side of the system as well. I noted at this stage that the ESP switch was working much more reliably. (The switch wasn't doing anything at times previously.). Since then all seems to be working ok. Hoping that it stays that way too. Before going to great expense this might be worth trying if you are experiencing the same problem. All of this can be easily done by anyone with the correct size torque spit tool, a little patience and moderate auto aptitude. Cheers & thanks to those who provided their feedback.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Bummer... Worked great for a few days and then last night the ESP dash light came back on again. Back to the drawing board. Next step will be to replace the G200 sensor.