Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Is the fan control module the same as the fan rely?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Default Is the fan control module the same as the fan rely?

I have a 2000 tt. Fans run after ignition is off until battery is dead.

I pulled the connection from the temperature switch on the radiator and the fans keep running.

I can't find any information on the location of the fan relay so I was wondering if the fan relay is the fan control module that is located under the battery.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by marc a; 09-02-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

actual they call it auxiliary fan controller and yes it is under the battery a 16 pin 4 pin hunk of junk that goes out on every vw & audi years 2000-2003 if not more. replace coolant temp. sensor with the new(old now) green one. but the one fan generally runs after turning the ignition as a cool down it will be the smaller one on the passenger side but if it keeps running and taking the battery out that is wrong check fuse # 16

also check your battery at top here is a pic.....

this might help as well trying to organize DIY http://whanab.com/

Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Thanks ND.

Both of the fans ran until battery died, and at high speed. I pulled the control module last night and banged on it to see if I could get the relay to open and it did not.

New module on the way.

Appreciate the input.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 PM
1st Gear
Default high speed fans out of control

Originally Posted by marc a
Thanks ND.

Both of the fans ran until battery died, and at high speed. I pulled the control module last night and banged on it to see if I could get the relay to open and it did not.

New module on the way.

Appreciate the input.
No problem each fan connect at the bottom of the fan shroud by bottom hose of radiator just above that make sure their tightly secure as well.

L8R......

Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 PM

I need further help.

I replaced the fan control module. Drove car and it the temp gauge went way beyond the mid point once warmed up. I opened the hood and neither fan was working.

Every fuse on the panel was checked as were the 3 fuses in the box above the battery.

I then replaced the fan switch on the radiator, ran the car until the temp gauge once again went well past the mid point and still no fans.

I then opened up the old fan control module to inspect the relays and found a badly burned set of relay points. Cleaned the points and re-installed the module without the cover so I could manually work the points. When I closed the set of burned points both fans operated at the higher speed.

I need to understand what is missing in the circuit that provides power to the fan control module other than the fan switch on the radiator. Something is keeping the fan circuit in the module from getting power.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM

I could really use a little help on this. Surely someone else has had this problem.

Maybe someone has a wiring diagram for the fan circuit??

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default fan switch

the aux. fan controller is under the battery you have to take the complete

battery plate on bottom to get to bolts and go underneath car to reach controller the replacement number is 1J0919506N and do not buy from local audi as they cost about $310.00

http://www.audipartsnationwide.com/

1-888-737-5738 call and tell them your model they may want your vin #

but they show $144.00 plus $8.95 shipping

http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/ $138.24 at this site do not know shipping

both places are from a dealership and have a guarentee (SP)

Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

hi all,
please i need some serious help, both my fans are not turning, so im assuming it has to be electrical, im trying to find the fan controller unit, i took out the battery, took out the battery tray and i just cant find the unit, i even went underthe car, where is this darn thing> please help

Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

ok i found the fan controller, my question is, how can i test it to make sure its shot before i buy a new one? volt meter ? thanks for any help

Last edited by skyhighhobby; 10-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by skyhighhobby
hi all,
please i need some serious help, both my fans are not turning, so im assuming it has to be electrical, im trying to find the fan controller unit, i took out the battery, took out the battery tray and i just cant find the unit, i even went underthe car, where is this darn thing> please help
it is under it is under the battery / if facing the car engine bay looking to the rear / should have battery on your right Fan Control will be left of battery/ not much/ to the left side of battery under car in the railing/ easier done with two people especially putting in...

will try and find DIY for you

Quick Reply: Is the fan control module the same as the fan rely?