Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Fuel level Sensor or Cluster?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Fuel level Sensor or Cluster?

Hi,
I have a 2001 225hp TT. Yesterday when I started the car, the fuel gauge read empty and the low fuel light was on in the warning area. I had just filled the car earlier in the day. While driving the fuel gauge went to full and the warning light went off. Later, when I started the TT and drove the car the gauge read full and it appeared the "miles remaining" indicator read out was actually incrementing the miles left on the tank.
There are no other issues with the cluster, no missing pixels, no other gauges not functioning. I have read through the forum and signs from others problems seem to indicate the sending unit or the cluster.
What are your learned opinions? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

I actually have the same problem in my car. If its like my bmw we have 2 fuel level sensors unit sensors. One for each half of the gauge. When my car is empty it meets at the halfway mark so I'm assuming mine is the second sensor. Yours could be the first sensor. Like I said I'm assuming bc this is how my bmw is

Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 PM

I'm also having the same problem with my 2000 180hp tt. The fuel guage always says full i called a few shops but they all said they would have to look at it before they could tell me what is wrong.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

I may have the solution to your porblem. I read on a forum to get Chevron with techron fuel system cleaner. I put it in my tank and it fixed the problem. It was a problem with the fuel sensor. It has been 2 months and I have not had the problem with the gas guage again. Give it a try and let me know if it works.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Update so far

I have added one can of the Techron into a tank of gas and ran it through the car. The gas gauge has stopped reading empty but I am a bit unsure of the accuracy of the gauge reading so I ran a tank of just gas.... and this morning I have added another can of Techron to a full tank. I will see what results are after this tank of gas! The good news is I no longer get the empty gas tank warning at all.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dbibeau
I have added one can of the Techron into a tank of gas and ran it through the car. The gas gauge has stopped reading empty but I am a bit unsure of the accuracy of the gauge reading so I ran a tank of just gas.... and this morning I have added another can of Techron to a full tank. I will see what results are after this tank of gas! The good news is I no longer get the empty gas tank warning at all.
Hopefully it does fix it though it never did the three times i had the same exact poblem.

1st - Replaced fuel sender
2nd - replaced cluster
3rd - replaced fuel sender again.

Fortunately all were under warranty or ext warranty.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Reviving an old thread because I found it first before I found a solution. In case anyone else ends up here looking for a solution to the issue of the fuel gauge always showing full here it is:

1. Pull the fuse for the fuel pump.
2. Turn the ignition key to on (without starting the car).
3. Turn the ignition off.
4. Put back the fuse for the fuel pump.

This will reset the computer, and you should have a fully functioning fuel gauge again.

For what it's worth, this happened to me when I accidentally pulled the fuel pump fuse instead of a different fuse that needed replacing. I put back the fuel pump fuse without turning the ignition on and off, and it somehow confused the computer responsible for reporting the fuel level.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Thx for the fuse removal fix...worked like a charm

Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuel guage issues

Originally Posted by tttri
Thx for the fuse removal fix...worked like a charm
Which set of fuses? And where are they located?

Much Appreciated! I have the same issue with my MK1 2001 225 TT

Old 10-19-2018, 12:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuel level sensor audi tt

2000 audi ttSo my fuel gauge was acting up erratically for a while, so I changed fuel pump with sending unit/new. Also checked fuses they're good.
I got a special code reader for audi,That can diagnose a specific circuit. So I diagnosed my fuel gauge and this is what I got.
*00771 fuel level sensor (G) , short circuit to Earth.
what do you think? Any ideas where to start, and how to do it? Did you guys ever fixed your problem?
I hope this new info helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel level Sensor or Cluster?