Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Gauge Cluster or Fuel Sensor?

Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear
Default Gauge Cluster or Fuel Sensor?

I have an 01 225, with ~21k on it, and the gauge cluster is hard to read for the first bit after I start the car but then clears up. More importantly, the fuel gauge doesnt work for snot. When I fill the car, it goes up to at least F or past, but then doesnt really go down until I have a few gallons left and then goes down to a quarter, but after driving for a bit, it goes up to half [8D]My "miles to empty" seems totally BS too, so I just go my the odometer since I filled up.

Is there an easy way to tell if the problem is the gauge cluster or the fuel sensor? I know folks have had problems with both, and I intend to ask AoA to replace the gauge cluster. Should I just do that and see if it fixes my fuel issue? Thanks

Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Gauge Cluster or Fuel Sensor?

Possibly the fuel tank sensors are need to be cleaned. Try running a couple of tanks with Techron added. That has solved the problem for a lot of folks. If you click on the link to Techron, you can read a technical article on why the sensors get dirty.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Gauge Cluster or Fuel Sensor?

You definitely want to start with the fuel level sender as its by far the cheaper of the two potential problems. Try cleaning it first, if that doesnt work try replacing it. The pixel issue will have to be adressed sooner or later as it will only get worse.

The new cluster is around $900 by itself without any labor.

btw, your miles to empty reading is designed to leave you a couple gallons of reserve in the tank. Its adaptive to your driving habits though so if its severely off, you simply drive too erraticly.