Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT Interior Trim Finish

Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Default TT Interior Trim Finish

The TT A/C Vents & Shift Base Ring. I'm trying to match the Factory Finish on a Billet Aluminum piece. Does anyone know for a fact what the OEM finish is? A metalurgist looked at the shift base ring, and told me he's 99% sure it's "Powder Coated" Aluminum, with perhaps a clear coat.

Does anyone happen to know for sure?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: TT Interior Trim Finish

Pretty sure it's just brushed aluminum with a clear coat.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

Pretty sure it's just brushed aluminum with a clear coat.
Yep. Definitely not powder coat.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

With all due respect, I thought it was just a clear coat too, until the "professional" told me it was powder-coated. Do you happen to know "unequivickably for certain"?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 PM
5th Gear

Don't worry, I took metallurgy in college....

I'm 99% sure that guy is an idiot.

I'd say its brushed aluminum with a 'natural' annodizing. Natural only means no colors added, and its definately annodized, or it'd scratch to hell in a heartbeat.

We get sheets of aluminum at work, with 'natural' anno on it, its almost identical stuff.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

I'd say its brushed aluminum with a 'natural' annodizing. Natural only means no colors added, and its definately annodized, or it'd scratch to hell in a heartbeat.

We get sheets of aluminum at work, with 'natural' anno on it, its almost identical stuff.
See this is what happend last time I tried to find this out. Five different people had five different ideas, and were all almost sure.

I'd love to know if there's anyone who refinishes metal, or better yet, has any contact with Audi, and can tell me for 100% certain, exactly what the finish is?

Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Hwood

See this is what happend last time I tried to find this out. Five different people had five different ideas, and were all almost sure.

I'd love to know if there's anyone who refinishes metal, or better yet, has any contact with Audi, and can tell me for 100% certain, exactly what the finish is?
We're giving you our educated opinion. If you don't like it......no one is stopping you from contacting Audi.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: beachchair

ORIGINAL: Hwood

We're giving you our educated opinion. If you don't like it......no one is stopping you from contacting Audi.
Thanks, but I had an "educated opinion" before I posted here. Was just hoping to get a definitive answer. Guess I'll take your advice and trying contacting Audi, although I don't know how sucessful I'm gonna be getting an answer from them.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:32 AM
4th Gear

Guess I'll take your advice and trying contacting Audi, although I don't know how sucessful I'm gonna be getting an answer from them.
...if anyone knows its them...

i could always just tell you im 100% sure its "brushed aluminum with a 'natural' annodizing" but then id be a liar

Old 05-02-2008, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: theTTkid

Guess I'll take your advice and trying contacting Audi, although I don't know how sucessful I'm gonna be getting an answer from them.
...if anyone knows its them...

i could always just tell you im 100% sure its "brushed aluminum with a 'natural' annodizing" but then id be a liar
Just tried the local Audi "Parts" department & as I suspected, the gentleman I spoke with didn't have a clue what the "factory finish" on those pieces is. He was very gracious, and said he'd try to find out, but wasn't very optimistic that'd he get the information.

Is there any other "Audi Contact" that anyone could suggest that could perhaps give me a definitive answer on the factory finish?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TT Interior Trim Finish