Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Location of power steering fluid reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Default Location of power steering fluid reservoir

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but couldn't find. Can anyone tell me where the power fluid reservoir is located? I am hearing a slight whine when I turn my wheel and want to check the fluid... The owner's manual says it is by the windshield washer fill but can't locate. I have a 2001 225 Quattro.
Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/45844/B8D9647DC7CB472189199E1498713245.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Location of power steering fluid reservoir

wow, newbie in da house!! maybe you can't find it because its on the opposite side of the engine than the WW fluid... its the little squareish black container with the green cap infront of the round coolant tank.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the information!

Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

does anyone know how to open it? because its an oddly shaped cap?

Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear

LMAO you guys are too funny!!!! take a flathead screwdriver and put it sideways in that groove and twist, your key also will work to if its not on too tight.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:16 PM

I opened it carefully with a pair of slip joint pliers.

The fluid level is low -- can I use regular power steering fluid or does Audi require you to buy theirs? It doesn't warn against this in the manual like it does with the coolant. Thanks again for any advice!

Old 11-25-2007, 03:23 PM

DON'T USE STANDARD FLUID!! - go to your owners manual or research it on the web It could be CHs 11S or other 11S depending on the year.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

I actually used standard fluid for awhile while I had a bad leak. never had a problem but when I fixed it I did refill with the approved audi fluid from the dealership. I actually have a couple 12oz. bottles left over that I never opened. Audi sells them for $14 each, I'll give you one for $12 shipped or $20 shipped for both. if you want

Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the offer - I appreciate it but the dealer is on my way to work so I will stop in first thing in the morning to pick it up and cross it off my list (for now!).

Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 AM

Yeah, The Power Steering Reservoir for the Audi TT 2000 / 2001 is on the opposite side of where ur Windshield Wiper containter / cap is located. I'm not sure why the manual says it's near the WW container. In fact, the little section on Power Steering is quite vague. You have to remove the left engine compartment cover to access it. It's the same cover that protects the Engine Coolant container. It has a green cap and it directly in front of the round engine coolant container. The cap can be unscrewed with the long end / shaft of a screwdriver. Just place one hand on the handle and the other hand on the end of the screwdriver, turn as if it were a crank. Just turn enough to loosen, finish by twisting with your hands.

Now there are concerns about what type of fluid to use. I read forums and official statements saying it's dangerous to use standard fluid and ones that say it's perfectly okay to use standard fluid if necessary. Same say to use Audi fluid, others say don't worry about it. I guess my best advice is to use atleast 11s if you are picking up from the store. Anyone have the official say on this?

How it started: My car starting making noise, especially around turns. Progressively the noise got worse and the steering become more and more stiff. My friend had the brilliant idea that it was probably my steering wheel fluid. I was like 'good call'. I went to the local gas station, picked up some fluid. Checked my lovely manual. Was perplexed that it said it was near the Winshield Wiper container with no diagram or any other instruction for that matter. Other than the obvious don't hold your steering wheel all the way to the right or left for more than 15 seconds while the car is running. This was the night we just finished watching Iron Man. It was an interesting ride home as I had to be Iron Man to steer my car. Later that night, I looked on this forum. It was such an easy fix, it was just a matter of finding it. Still perplexed why the manual says it's near the WW container. I will keep you posted if I notice any problems with the standard fluid.