Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Noisy rear brakes on a 2002 TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Default Noisy rear brakes on a 2002 TT

I just bought a 2002 TT Quattro and the rear brakes make this irritating whiny noise when I hit the brake when I'm going <10 mph. The brake pads were changed about 4,000 miles ago so it can't be because the pads are too low. I was planning on stopping by my local Audi shop sometime this week and was wonder if anyone may know what's causing this (if it's common) and could give me a heads up.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Noisy rear brakes on a 2002 TT

its just one of those common nusences that come along with the tt.. im pretty sure a lot of guys on here get that. i do, but in the fronts

Old 04-07-2008, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

its prob the compound of your pads. some are noisy some are not.

maybe some break quieter may help along the conact of the pad and the caliper, if the shop that you changed your brakes @ cheaped out on that stuff.

i tune up my brakes every few months when they begin to make a lil noise that way.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:36 AM

Which pads would you recommend? If they're only about $50 or so I don't mind paying it just to put an end to that noise.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear

well i use PBR Ceramics. any non ceramic will operate quieter and also less brake dust.

i personalyl dont mind the noise sicne it gives me a chance to tune up my brakes every once in a while.

check to see what your local partsource ... or i think in the usa its called autozone??? has to offer.

By the sound of your post i think it will cost more than 50$ since you will most likely pay for the labour to replace the pads too ... gotta keep that in mind.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 AM
3rd Gear

Many pads also have a break in procedure that should be followed otherwise the pads won't seat right, and can cause bad braking performance, noise, and uneven wear.

So just having them changed doesn't mean you can rule them out.

Good luck with the problem, I hate when the little things like that ruin a good relaxing drive.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 AM

I'm no means a gearhead, but I have changed the brake pads before on my Xterra so I don't think I'd have too much trouble changing the rear brake pads on the TT. I thinking of getting the pads/tool below. Are these both good? Is there anything else I'd need? I'm sure the dealer would want $400 to do this.

EBC Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads
Brake Caliper Piston Tool

Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: JeffM

I'm no means a gearhead, but I have changed the brake pads before on my Xterra so I don't think I'd have too much trouble changing the rear brake pads on the TT. I thinking of getting the pads/tool below. Are these both good? Is there anything else I'd need? I'm sure the dealer would want $400 to do this.

EBC Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads
Brake Caliper Piston Tool
ORIGINAL: DurTTy

well i use PBR Ceramics. any non ceramic will operate quieter and also less brake dust.
I don't have any experience with ceramic pads, but from what has been said...

Non ceramic will be quieter.

Ceramic will probably be louder than what you are experiencing right now.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
4th Gear

arent redstuff pads like track pads? i think redstuff is a little overkill personally, and if your into the cermaic thing, id do greenstuff. cheaper, and not overkill.

hawk pads are good too... as for the noise, idk if new pads will cure it

Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: DurTTy

i personalyl dont mind the noise sicne it gives me a chance to tune up my brakes every once in a while.

check to see what your local partsource ... or i think in the usa its called autozone??? has to offer.

By the sound of your post i think it will cost more than 50$ since you will most likely pay for the labour to replace the pads too ... gotta keep that in mind.

Weird... I've had PBR high performance ceramic pads on my car for just over a year now, and there is about 70% life left on them.
To date I have had no squealing unless the discs had some oxidation on them, and very minimal brake dust.
I did coat the back of the pads with 2 layers of brake quiet, and followed the breaking in instructions to the T.

I'm not sure where you've heard that about ceramic pads producing more noise and dust compared to other non-ceramic compounds.
What's your source?
From what I remember OEM pads produce a helluva lot more dust and noise!

EBC Yellowstuff pads are for track use only. Redstuff can be used on the street, but they work best when warm.
I've talked to another TTer who has Greenstuff pads installed, and he said he couldn't wait to change them because of squealing and dust.
I have not personally used EBC Greenstuff pads, so this is "second-hand" information.

Quick Reply: Noisy rear brakes on a 2002 TT