Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

P0501 Mystery to all

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Default P0501 Mystery to all

I have a 2001 AMU roadster 6-speed Quattro that is throwing generic code P0501. The VSS was replaced at the suggestion of the local dealership, as well as the central locking module. This changed nothing, except adjusting my account balance downward. Here's all of the symptons, and I can't help but feel that they are related;
1. car runs fine, and revs through redline. ( should only rev to 4500 if VSS is bad. )
2. Speedometer/Odometer operate normally. ( Shouldn't if VSS is faulty.)
3. Cruise control does NOT function. ( I believe is triggered by VSS signal, but can't verify. )
4. In-motion door lock is inoperable. ( Controlled by central locking module via signal from VSS. )

The Bentley repair manual EWD's aren't real helpful in tracing this. I've been able to identify the VSS signal wire from the ECM to the instrument cluster as blue/white (bl/ws in diagrams). There is also a bl/ws wire from the instrument cluster to the central locking module, which I believe is carrying VSS signal. Nowhere is the cruise control mentioned in the EWD's. I suspect it is buried in the nebulous "instrument cluster processor".

The same color wire is the signal from the ragtop switch "up" to the top control module which I do not believe is connected to the VSS, unless it is to stop the top from being operated while the car is in motion. The top does not operate unless the e-brake is on, so this would be a redundant circuit.

What makes this truly annoying is that this MIL fails the state's emmission testing. Therefore, I am making payments on a car I cannot register.

Please help.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

16885/P0501/001281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22): Implausible Signal
Possible Causes
Wiring/Connectors from/to Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22) faulty
Wiring/Connectors from Transmission Control Module (J217) to Engine Control Module faulty
Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22)
Check Wiring/Connectors from Transmission Control Module (J217) to Engine Control Module
Check Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22)

thats all I got. seems like all those things have already been done by your or the dealership

Old 11-10-2013, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 01Ragtop
I have a 2001 AMU roadster 6-speed Quattro that is throwing generic code P0501. The VSS was replaced at the suggestion of the local dealership, as well as the central locking module. This changed nothing, except adjusting my account balance downward. Here's all of the symptons, and I can't help but feel that they are related;
1. car runs fine, and revs through redline. ( should only rev to 4500 if VSS is bad. )
2. Speedometer/Odometer operate normally. ( Shouldn't if VSS is faulty.)
3. Cruise control does NOT function. ( I believe is triggered by VSS signal, but can't verify. )
4. In-motion door lock is inoperable. ( Controlled by central locking module via signal from VSS. )

The Bentley repair manual EWD's aren't real helpful in tracing this. I've been able to identify the VSS signal wire from the ECM to the instrument cluster as blue/white (bl/ws in diagrams). There is also a bl/ws wire from the instrument cluster to the central locking module, which I believe is carrying VSS signal. Nowhere is the cruise control mentioned in the EWD's. I suspect it is buried in the nebulous "instrument cluster processor".

The same color wire is the signal from the ragtop switch "up" to the top control module which I do not believe is connected to the VSS, unless it is to stop the top from being operated while the car is in motion. The top does not operate unless the e-brake is on, so this would be a redundant circuit.

What makes this truly annoying is that this MIL fails the state's emmission testing. Therefore, I am making payments on a car I cannot register.

Please help.
Pretty much same problem. Any solutions?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

I have the same exact problem, the only thing that does not work is cruise control (which surged up and down the last time it was used before I turned it off, now it does not respond). What was done to get this resolved? Going to replace my sensor tomorrow, but hopefully it is just the connections.

Thanks!