Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Is it possible to fix the speedometer?

Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Is it possible to fix the speedometer?

So I have been dealing with a fuel pump and sending unit and began to think that my cluster was bad again.....thankfully it looks like they sent the wrong pump and sending unit and are sending me the correct ones. Well the other night after putting the ones I got in the gas gauge was opposite...(vin split error on their part) and I thought I would tap fairly aggressively on the top of the dash to see if maybe the needle was stuck at empty. Then as I was driving I noticed that the speedometer was dropping way too low into the odometer and I figured out that it is still reading in the ecu properly but it is exactly 20 mph lower than it should be. I assume that in 02 they used a gear driven speedo (maybe not) but is there a way to adjust this back to the correct position without sending the cluster in for repair? I am planning to order VagCom this week to take care of a rear o2 sensor issue and didnt know if the software would allow for a calibration or something.

Please Help before I have to drop another $250 just for a speed gauge.....

Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 AM
1st Gear

You shouldn't need a Vag-Com to take care of your oxygen sensor. Just go to O'Reillys or any other auto repair parts store and they'll read it for free. Plus if you already know it's your rear sensor, you can just replace it.

As for your speedometer, when it breaks, it's usually your sensor that's out. Unfortunately, you tapped it and messed up the needle. You're going to have to fix the cluster. It's technically an easy job: just move over the needle back.

You could, theoretically, use the Vag-Com to adjust the factors for the speedometer, but from my understanding, you can't just make it add 20. You would change some other factor that would make the speed closer to what it actually is, such as the impulse value, however, it would mess with your odometer accuracy since the formula for that changes as well.