Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Programming Radio Code 2003 TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Programming Radio Code 2003 TT

Have an 03 TT and had to change the battery. I was dreading the radio going out. First off, I have the car 2 years and I was able to find the 4 digit code (you HAVE to have in order to get it out of "SAFE" mode) in the sound system booklet part of the owners manual. Following these directions made it a snap:

1. Turn on radio and the radio display shows "SAFE".

2. Press the P.Scan nad RBDS buttons at the same time and hold until "1000" is displayed. Release the buttons but do NOT pressbuttons again as the radio will think that "1000" is the code.

3. Use preset buttons 1 through 4 to enter the four - digit code number from your radio card that was suplyed with the new car. Preset button 1 corresponds to the first digit, preset button 2 corresponds with the second digit, and so on.

4. Once the code shown on the display is corrent you must press the P.Scan and RBDS buttons simultaneously and hold until the word "SAFE" apears in the display again. Once the word "SAFE" apears you can release the buttons.

Now the radio should unlock and be availanle shortly afterwards.

5. If an incorect code is entered, the word "SAFE" appears, first flashing and then continouosly. You can repeat the above steps to unlock the radio once more, the number of atempts will be shown in the display. If an incorrect code is entered again, your radio will remain locked for about one hour. After one hour - the radio must stay on and the key must remain in the ignition lock - if the display goes out, then you can repeat the above procedure to unlock again. Tha cycle - two atempts, one hour, lock up - still applies.

WARNING: If you lose your for digit radio code, Audi might tell you that you have to go to the dealer and that they will have to hook it up to a computer that goes to Germany, to get your code. That is a load of (you know what). All you have to do is pull out your car stereo and find the 14 digit serial number on it (it contains letters and numbers). The stereo code will be the last four digits of this number. But they might still try to squeze some money out of you and lie about having to hook it up to a computer.

SO: Pulling out your car stereo is a two minute job. Look for your stereo code as the last 4 digits are the unlock code.

Good luck.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

as stated on the vag-com as long as original unit is installed stero will come on without safe, prolly after a few start stop cycles. on my 01 TT disconnected batt several times never seen safe code, i believe this could be a transitional year OBD I or OBD II

Last edited by rodhotter; 12-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.