Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Rear Speakers

I have an 2002 Audi TT 225Q coupe. I noticed today when playing with the radio that there is no sound coming out of the rear speakers. When I set the fader to full rear, I don't hear anything out of the speakers. I tried to do some searches and came up with nothing. The car has the upgraded Bose system. Are there fuses on the back of the head unit that control the rears? I understand there is a factory amp somewhere too. Do the rears connect to it directly? I could try to see if something is not connected.

Thanks for any help,

Greg

Old 12-23-2006, 03:33 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rear Speakers

You have a few options:

You can try replacing the rear speakers, which will not be easy. Taking apart an Audi interior is a time consuming task at best. You will want to test them before buying new speakers and make sure they are bad. If they prove to not be the issue, move to the next option.

You can try and figure out the Bose wiring harness, which I can guarantee will leave you with a migraine and a sour taste for Audi engineering. Especially if you have any experience with anything that could be considered standard stereo installation. Even with a diagram, sitting in the car looking at it makes no sense. I have yet to figure out why they made it so complex.

You can take the opportunity to upgrade to an aftermarket H/U. This pretty much requires rewiring the facotry speakers andrunning wires to the dash. Ichose not to even bother with the rear speakers (yet) after managing to get the door speakers wired up, Noone has ever noticed the only sound coming from behind them is the subs, the doors take care of mids/highs and are plenty loud.

90% of the problems I see on Audi's can be traced to some electrical/electronics failure. With the amount of sensors, connectors, and switchesand the fact that every cars wiring harness is a handmade one piece unit with MILES of wires that change colors all over the carfiguring it all out is a nightmare.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck. There are diagrams floating around if you search long enough, I found them once upon a time. But in the end my stereo is wired MY way, so if theres a problem I know right where to look. No safe codes if I unhook the battery for service. Much more versatility(standard preamp in/outputs,FULL ipod compatiblity). I wouldnt ever go back to the stock H/U.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

I realized that the rears do work, but it seems to only be bass. If they are 2-ways, then I guess something is wrong there. If they are just supposed to add bass I am OK.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Sounds right to me. A good soundsystem uses the front stage for detail and the back to fill out the lows. If youve ever seen a really nice competition SQ (Sound Quality, as opposed to SPL)system, this is how they are designed.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:10 PM
4th Gear

The rear speakers are nearly non existent - on mine you had to crank the volume up to the halfway mark just to feel them vibrate over the sound of the fronts. According to the manual there is no fade from front to rear on the coupe - the roadster does due to the subwoofer down between the seats - if I remember correctly - so I don't know how you did it on the Concert series Bose.

I removed the whole system fora custom job.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:41 AM

does anyone know which ipod kit is good! cuz i wanna still have my cd changer! Most of the kits i find replace the cd changer so that u can use ur ipod. any info on this. thanx

Old 12-26-2006, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

From what I hear the factory changer is garbage. Prone to skipping and such. I dont know personally, since I went to an aftermarket head unit before I found the OEM changer. However now I dont have to worry about using my Ipod or a Changer or entering safe codes after service.

Alot of people use the Icelink I think its called. I dont know if this is the same as the official Audi Ipod adapter which I know for sure wires in place of the changer.

But like I said...once you ditch the Audi stuff you can do whatever you want, however you want with your stereo...

Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 AM
1st Gear

interesting b/c i just recently got a new head unit
and realized my speakers sound WORSE now and the rears...THEY DONT WORK!

they guys at the stereo shop 1st said it may be the wiring kit
then thought something may have not been wired up correctly
then after looking at it
i was told there are NO wires for any rear speakers (behind the h/u)?
so then now they need my STOCK h/u to verify if there are any rear speakers

no, i do not have the premium BOSE
so does the coupe w/o premium sound still have an amp?
if so, who understands the BOSE "ohm" rating crap?

or do i JUST replace EVERYTHING....
hahaha
i think i already know the answer

Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

obviously i could NOT get a strait answer
by searching nor by asking...

owell

after fighting with the stereo shop
they ended up removing the panels to FIND rear speakers
not that anyone cares but...
i was THRILLED and now they somehow work!
life is grand again