Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Rear window coming off Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Default Rear window coming off Convertible top

Anyone has any recommendation on what kind of adhesives I can use to adhere the rear window to the convertible canvas?
I've got a 2001 TT Roadster Quattro.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem on a 2005 S4. My Audi dealer here in Pittsburgh sent me to an auto trim shop that sealed the window with "an epoxy after releasing the pressure around the glass" (their words).

It only cost $450. The shop said they've done this before and were confident it would solve the problem.

If you're in the Pittsburgh area the shop is called Michael's Auto Trim Shop and it's in Penn Hills on Leechburg road.

If you're not in the Pittsburgh area I would suggest trying to find an auto trim and upholstery shop that might be able to

do the same thing.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 AM
1st Gear

RIP OFF!!!!

I had this happen with my 98 Vette, use this...

Just go slow and try not to get it on the top, if you get excess on the glass it should come off once it drys. Wait 24 hrs before doing anything with it.

In my vette there was a piece of flat plastic or something that went along the glass and this is where the seal is supposed to be. I used denatured alcohol to remove the old stuff. Let it dry, then applied the black sealant and stuffed old sweatshirts up in the window inside the car to put pressure on the seal while it sat. Hope something like this works for you. With the vette every shop said get a new top which is at least $500 used and $1000 or more new. This cost me a day and about 2 dollars, so it's worth trying and if it doesn't work then shop it. I unfortunately got some in the top and it never came off, no big deal, since the top was black, but i noticed it.

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Same just happened on my 08 A4 Cabriolet. One day I kept hearing cars drive by like the window was down. I finally found that the bottom and sides of my window were no longer attached. It was just hanging by the top. I bought a silicone adheasive/sealant. It is weatherproof and good for -60 - 160 degrees F. Was kinda messy going on, but cleaned up nicely with a razor. So far it works well. I even dumped some water on it 2 days later and none leaked through... The tube was $5 at Kmart. The stuff I used was exactly the same, but clear instead of black. I used a pillow on the inside to hold preasure.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Default Rear window

I was just told that my rear window has detached as well. I was hearing car noise as though the window was down as well but never thought it was the rear window. They are suggesting I replace it for $5000.00! I have an '03 A4 Cabriolet. Help!
There has got to be a way to glue these windows back in.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 AM

I had the same problem with my 01 Roadster. Dealership charges an arm and a leg to replace the top, but I found an upholstery shop that would do it. I've had it done twice now (Someone slashed my top while it was sitting in my driveway the second time). It was around $1200 to go that route and they did a great job. Check with your local upholstery shops, the top is usually around $600, then you're paying labor.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chelow
I was just told that my rear window has detached as well. They are suggesting I replace it for $5000.00!
$5K is crazy high.
I'd try all sorts of other options before shelling out that much to a dealer.

Here's an option if you choose to replace:
http://www.topsonline.com/index.php

Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ph3N0m
RIP OFF!!!!

I had this happen with my 98 Vette, use this...

Just go slow and try not to get it on the top, if you get excess on the glass it should come off once it drys. Wait 24 hrs before doing anything with it.

In my vette there was a piece of flat plastic or something that went along the glass and this is where the seal is supposed to be. I used denatured alcohol to remove the old stuff. Let it dry, then applied the black sealant and stuffed old sweatshirts up in the window inside the car to put pressure on the seal while it sat. Hope something like this works for you. With the vette every shop said get a new top which is at least $500 used and $1000 or more new. This cost me a day and about 2 dollars, so it's worth trying and if it doesn't work then shop it. I unfortunately got some in the top and it never came off, no big deal, since the top was black, but i noticed it.
Just bought the same adhesive and followed your instructions. Hopefully it will workout well. Going to give it 24 Hours to dry. Fingers crossed

Thank you so much, this was helpfully (so far).

D

Old 09-20-2010, 06:37 PM

Woot Woot! I used the silicon adhesive Ph3N0m recommended and it worked! So for anyone else who wants to ensure that they are buying a good adhesive sealant, this is the one. I picked it up at Autozone for about $4.99+tx

Top sealed and held strong. Thank you so much for saving me a lot of money.

I still can't believe that the car is only 4 years old and has 38,800 miles and the top is already coming off... ghetto quality. And, the top is NOT covered by the extended platinum warranty I have with the car... lame!

D

Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

2001 TT here. I just noticed my rear window problem today. A new top is about $2700.00 from dealer.

I've received 3 bids ranging from 1700 to 2150. from upholstery shops.

I see Robbins tops advertised on the web for about $600.

How difficult is it to change the top?

Quick Reply: Rear window coming off Convertible top