Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Relentless Performance Exhaust Manifold & 3" Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Relentless Performance Exhaust Manifold & 3" Downpipe

Hi guys,

I've noticed quite a lot of debate on vwvortex, audi tt forums and some here on the quality, price and availability of aftermarket exhaust setups in the UK. I purchased the Relentless Performance (USA based company) exhaust manifold and 3" downpipe + decat pipe from eBay for my Audi TT 225bhp (BAM engine, K04 turbo), and will give you information and updates on my experiences with the process, installation and performance.

First off, I purchased the item on 31st July 2012, following some negotiation with Relentless Performance about discounts on:

a) combined shipment for the exhaust manifold and downpipe
b) discount on the downpipe based on a competitor listing the same item for a cheaper price
c) my only needing the downpipe, rather than the downpipe + decat pipe

My feedback on these negotiations is that they were very quick to respond to my emailed inquiries, even before I'd committed to buying and was just a customer showing interest, and that Relentless were also extremely accomodating in taking my 3 points above and offering me a highly competitive price. I got the whole lot, plus shipment, for $400 USD, and they decided after I'd purchased the items that they would send me the decat pipe just as a gesture of goodwill for free. I think it is important that you forum readers are made aware of my declaration of interest that they promised to rebate me $100 USD contingent on my providing forum feedback on my experiences with their product (which I am doing so now). I'm a scientist, not a mechanic, and will do my utmost to be unbiased in my appraisal of this product. I will report my findings as objectively as I can, even if the appraisal ends up being neutral (or even negative), which may risk my forfeiting the $100 rebate. I hope my declaration of this pecuniary interest assuages any skepticism any of you may have of my report should I provide a generally positive outcome on my experiences of quality, performance, price and customer satisfaction on Relentless' products being discussed here. Furthermore, I am happy to answer any questions other forum users may have should they suspect I am not being partial in my assessment / biased.

Ok, that's my long-winded spiel out the way.

The products arrived today (6th August 2012), all the way from the States - which I was very impressed with. The items arrived in good condition, though the box of the downpipe was slightly bashed in transit, exposing a small knuckle of the stainless steel on the downpipe - perhaps some added padding from Relentless would prevent this happening in the future.

I've attached a picture of the items, and will update you on their installation when my gaskets and stretch bolts arrive. I'm also considering Dyno'ing my car before and after, though at £70 GBP a run, I hope you can forgive me if I just give a qualitative assessment rather than quantitative one!

I'm no welder, but the welding appears to be neat enough on the outside. It looks a little bit rough on the inside of the exhaust manifold gasket side, so I'm going to crack out my Dremel hand-tool equivalent (Ryobi) and smoothen it out to reduce turbulence after my gaskets arrive and I've matched the ports.

Attached Thumbnails Relentless Performance Exhaust Manifold & 3" Downpipe-manifold-downpipe.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 AM
1st Gear

hope the best for your manifold, i too am about to be running there DP, but i will have cutoff actuator before the cat so i can be straight pipe or stock exhaust with a flick of a switch

the manifold has seeme to crack under aggresive driving for other peoples experience.

I recommend a F23 turbo (comparable to GT28rs) and comes with manifold, DV and more for only $1300 if you are looking for good gains for the money