Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Replacing Spur Toothed drive belt for rear windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Replacing drive belt for rear windscreen

Could you provide me with the link that describes how to gain access and repair the rear windscreen. Thank You.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Richard1
Could you provide me with the link that describes how to gain access and repair the rear windscreen. Thank You.
Originally Posted by Richard1
I think their "jacking" with you brother. The job is seriously simple if you have any mechanical inclinations at all. To gain access you need to start by taking the plastic molding off behind the glass. It pops off. Just look at at it close and start massaging the molding off.
To gain access to the belt, and to be able to replace it, you will need a small drill bit to drill out the steel rivets off the metal frame which extends the full width of that window. There are two rivets on each end. When you put this part back you can either use pop rivets, or get some common threaded bolts with nuts.
This job is best done with another set of eyes and hands. Not absolutely necessary, but a real help when removing and replacing the belt ($185 from Audi). The only thing else that you want to pay attention to is the corkscrew drive gear that the belt attaches to. There are two, one motor driven, and the other just a slave being turned by the belt. The one being turned by the belt (behind the passenger side) can get seriously damaged if someone kept trying to get the window up or down with a bad belt. So look to make sure it isn't damaged. If it is even slightly dinged up, get it out of there and replace it ($185.00 Audi part). Amazing that the gear and the belt costs the same ridiculous amount eh?
anyway once your looking at all this, use common sense, go slow, and double check everything. The belt comes off and goes on simple enough. Nothing tricky or complicated. If the screw needs to be replaced, same thing, it pulls right out.

The job is not difficult but like all "jobs" ya can't rush it and always look at whatever you do TWICE.

Hope this helps.
By the way here's the link the other guy didn't know how to post
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...w-belt-167811/

Last edited by jjt1234; 10-31-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 PM
1st Gear
Smile Replacing drive belt on windscreen

I ordered the drive belt and will follow your instructions.

Thanks for all your help.

This forum is really great for a new owner of a 2001 TT Quattro.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

Your welcome, yeah the forum and the car are pretty cool for sure. That TT you have is a great car. The most fun car I've ever owned. When you do the belt just go "slow". I have a tendency to rush through things and then when it comes time to "turn it on", I'm like "oh $%# !! I forgot some stupid little thing. Remember,
Nothing gets forced on when doing that belt. Yes , the belt has to go over the sprockets on either end, don't get tempted to grab anything to stretch and pry it over the sprocket, you'll nick the belt. Get a stiff stick, or if your thumbs are strong use them, thats what I would recommend. you'll see once your in it.
On mine, I replaced the belt, turned it on, and the window only partially raised. So after "CLOSER" inspection, the gear was damaged. So......here I go again. From the start
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I probably don't have to tell you to take pictures of the job site before you start. It sure can help when you have torn the thing apart and when your re-assembling you go "how did that fit in there". Jus saying.....

Last edited by jjt1234; 11-02-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-28-2015, 03:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Rear Wind Screen Drive Belt

Does anyone know where I can purchase the rear windscreen drive belt?

Please let me know: stimmons1969@yahoo.com

Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Where to purchase windscreen spur belt for audi tt

Hi, was able to find better price than the dealer from an aftermarket racing supplier online. It was a couple years ago but was the best price at the time.
About 20-30% less overall.
Audi TT MKI Quattro 225HP - 8N7862997 - Windscreen Toothed Belt - ES#456230

Currently $ 127-130.00 while the Audi dealer is close to $200.

And side-note, this business above about jacking people around? No, I went to great effort to photo and document a diy for the entire procedure but when tried to post the forum would time out and I would lose my slow-*** typing. Plus was my first time posting and most days just do not have time off from work schedule to stay online and post.

Hope this helps, still have photos and docs around if anyone still needs.
Thanks. Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 AM
1st Gear

FYI, I was able to find a compatible part for about $35 here: High Power Toothed BELT for Audi TT wind deflector 8N7862997

I replaced it at the end of the season last year and have not used it since then, but it worked at the time (3 months ago). Overall it sounded a little rough going up and down now as compared to before the repair - not sure if this is due to damage done while the belt was broken or if it is the belt itself, but I'm glad to have it working again.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 TT Quattro windscreen belt broke

Thanks for posting this TTRider. I bought the belt, but have been waiting to install it. If you would please send pics to tony.bolan@digitalthinker.com

I'm in South Carolina and my TT is black with baseball leather seats too.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Just picking up an 01 Roadster Quattro from a buddy and am told wind screen doesnt work, now I know where to look and probably what the problem is

Old 11-12-2015, 04:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Windscreen help 2001 TT Quattro

Mine comes up crooked. got parts list & pic from Audi but would appreciate pics on how to dismantle trim etc

Quick Reply: Replacing Spur Toothed drive belt for rear windscreen