Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Scraping sound during turning and CEL codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Default Scraping sound during turning and CEL codes

Hey everyone,
I have a 2000 Audi TT Quattro 1.8T and it's been having some issues lately. The clutch and transmission recently had to be replaced, and when I got it back from the shop there was a new scraping/grinding sound when turning and going over around 10mph.

It is scheduled for maintenance at the dealership soon so the mechanic suggested I have them look at it, though they do intend to fix it once they figure out what the hell it is. It sounds like metal on metal, similar to a chain dragging (but there is definitely nothing dangling on the ground). There is sometimes a slight metallic grating sound when driving at highway speeds as well, and every now and then you can hear the sound ever so slightly when driving straight, usually when going over a bump.

The mechanic swears after having listened to it both inside and outside the car that it sounds like a heat shield rubbing against something, but they can't find it. Does anyone here have an idea of what it could be?

The other issue is that the CEL came on recently and is throwing codes p1128 and p1136. It seems the engine is running lean, but there seem to be many possible causes for this.

A couple of months ago the engine was making a flapping sound under acceleration and it turned out that the turbo manifold gasket was almost completely burnt out. Replacing that fixed the sound and the previous CEL and it seemed to gain quite a bit of power. Could this new issue be something related? Is there maybe an issue with the turbo or an exhaust leak?

Thanks!