Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

smell of burnt oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default smell of burnt oil

while I'm here, occassionally I smell burnt oil after driving. I'm using less than a quart in 1k miles and I have over 190k miles on the car. Any guesses as to where this oil odor is coming from? 2001 tt quattro coupe.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Oh man... it's hard to say really. I would first guess that you have a leak in your pcv system. 190k, I imagine you have some blowby going on which would make for a little more pcv activity and the pcv valve likes to get gummed up anyhow and I know mine was plugged and the pcv system was garbage. All the hoses were realy soft and one spot was torn and getting oil residue everywhere. On that note, get a flashlight and look around for stuff covered in oil that'll give it away. My pcv system failed the worst under my intake manifold so I recommend chcking in there really good. If you do not find anything you may want to take the inlet pipe off your turbo and check for shaft play. Then check the turbo lol. Sorry, the whole shaft play thing... and I'm immature... anyhow, you may be wearing out that turbo. But if that were true you'd probably be having some smoke out the exhaust. So check exhaust too: check for smoke when you first startup... may have to have someone else start it... and have someone drive behind you and check for smoke when you floor it, and check for smoke after downshifting and sitting at a stop sign for like 15 seconds or so. With that last part, get going like 60 or so, downshift through 4th and then 3rd and then sit there for a little while to see if it starts smoking. Then let us know! This is all I can think at the moment... good luck. Oh, this may not need said, but warm oil is probably more prone to leak so do this at temp. Obviously not the startup one ha ha.