Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Throw out bearing symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Throw out bearing symptoms

Hello all. I think I may have a bad throw out bearing. When I press the clutch into engage when stopped I hear a whooshing sound. When I then depress to disengage the sound disapperas. The car otherwise drives normally and the clutch seems to engage smoothly and properly. My 2002 225 has a 109k , I purchased the car with 69k on it so I do not know if the clutch had ever been replaced previously as generally the bearing is replaced at the same time. Do you think this is inded the TOB or perhaps another item in the clutch engagement system?
Also, does anyone know any good DIYs for this job or how much it cost you to replace it at a shop? I am currently working about 13 hours a day and don't have much time. Thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2009, 04:12 AM
4th Gear

What (if any) mods do you have?

Typically with the throw out bearing you'll hear a constant unmistakable sound, until you step on the clutch petal. So I don't think that's your problem, however I could be wrong.

When you say stopped do you mean in the process of stopping (slowing down), or waiting at a red light?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ouTTie914
What (if any) mods do you have?

Typically with the throw out bearing you'll hear a constant unmistakable sound, until you step on the clutch petal. So I don't think that's your problem, however I could be wrong.

When you say stopped do you mean in the process of stopping (slowing down), or waiting at a red light?
you are right. Throw our bearings will only make noise when the clutch pedal is out. An inputshaft bearing will make it when the clutch is engaged. Our cars use a weird hydraulic TOB i just replaced my clutch because mine went out. Usually they make a whine sound but i have also heard them make a grinding sound (usually when it is real bad)

Oh and sometimes the sound could be more noticeable when you first start the car. You could also notice difficulties getting your car into gear. It will get worse with time if thats the problem so i guess you could just wait a see? lol!

Last edited by myslow1; 01-23-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

i have the same noise, when i start the car in the morning and it's cold. When I push the clutch pedal down it goes away, altough once the car warms up I don't hear it anymore.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 PM
5th Gear

Keep in mind with the clutch engaged (foot off the pedal), you're spinning the input to your transmission. Things are moving.
If its cold, the chances are good that you will hear a little noise. Don't expect silence.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

The sound occurs while I am completely stopped and my foot is firmly pressed down (clutch disengaged. It then disappears when I release my foot from the pedal (clutch engaged). I do not hear anything while driving, although it is possible that the road noise is just too loud.