Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Torn CV Boot

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Torn CV Boot

Hey guys, I recently took my car into the shop to get some new tires and an alignment done. While it was there, the mechanic said he noticed that the CV boot on the front passanger side of the car had a torn CV boot. He told me that if I wanted to fix that, i'd have to replace the whole axle.

What do you guys think, what kind of work are they going to have to do. Also, how much would be a reasonable cost for the job.

Thanks!!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Torn CV Boot

some info here but its from '04 http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1702184

Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

You can do either and it depends upon the mileage of your car and the condition of the other CV axle as well as the materials surrounding the boot. If you car has a huge amount of mileage I would replace both CV axles. If you replace one axle it only makes sense to replace both at the same time. If the rest of the axle is ok and your car is fairly new I would just replace the boot as listed in the previous page. The best place to go for this if you do not have access to a lift or unable/unwilling to do it yourself as it is a fair bit of work is an axle shop. THese places change and fix like 20 CV axles a day and are generally the cheapest provided its an honest guy.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

Depends on how long you've driven it that way. If there is still a good amount of grease in there, there is a good chance you may not have damaged the CV joint. I had one tear on the rear and bought a boot kit from ECStuning and did it myself. Here is a writeup on doing the Front Inner CV Boot

If the boot area is dry or there is a lot of grit and sand in the joint, you'll need to replace it. And it is generally cheaper to replace the whole axle, you have to pull the axle to do the boot so you save the labor of R&R on the joint.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Hmm is it really an easy job to do? I'm not exactly a DIY mechanic, but I'd like to try.

How do I know how the condition of the axle and such. I drive an 01 225, with about 88k miles

What should I be looking for?

any writeups with pictures would be really really really helpful

appreciate the help

Old 02-11-2007, 12:30 AM
2nd Gear

You should invest in a copy of the Bentley CD for help in doing maintenance and repairs. It took me about 2 hours to do the inner boot on the rear. Keep in mind, you'll be dropping the front suspension away, so this isn't necessarily an "easy" job but it is something that can be DIY for a backyard mechanic. It's probably best attempted off of a lift, that's how I did mine. I don't think I'd want to try it from the ground on jackstands.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 AM
3rd Gear

I had a torn boot at 40k and had it replaced, it was a pretty new tear with fresh grease around it, just had the dealership do the cvc boot and the extended warrenty covered it.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:31 AM
1st Gear

hmm, I dont really have access to a lift, so I dont know if i can do it myself.. unfortunately my car is out of warranty, so i'm going to have to figure out what to do.. I've watched my friend install springs on his corolla, so i do know a little bit on how the suspension works

Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Then you are better off taking it into an independant shop that works on Audi/VW's . They can probably get the whole thing done in under 4 hours. The parts should be around $250

Old 02-11-2007, 02:22 PM
3rd Gear

doing it on jackstands shouldn't be a problem i did my clutch job on jacks(scary) but the car was very stable the entire time and i had to remove the drive shafts and removing the cv isnt hard at all if you have the right star bits 12 point i think but if you dont feel like you can do it yeah have a good shop take care of it for you.

Quick Reply: Torn CV Boot