Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Turbo Options for a 180Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Turbo Options for a 180Q

So after looking around at some turbos (Been checking out the Ko4 from ECS and stuff from Greddy/APR and Garret) Which one will give me a little more oomph with out breaking my wallet? My K03 Is performing as good as steven hawking caught in a snow storm soooo I sense an Upgrade is near. I think the bearing has crapped the bed...sounds like muffled marbles flieing around in there...*sigh*

The K04 Sounds nice - Direct bolt on and everything but the price from ECS is a tad High.
Garret T25/T25BB - Both sound great and are Cheaper then the K04 - I found them http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...-garretts.html - There for what I think an OK price. But when I get my GIAC chip (inc noob question) will they be able to handle the ~19-22lbs of boost? And is the T25/T25BB direct bolt on as well?
APR - Tooo expensive for what I want to aquire.

I plan on getting the Tcarbon FMIC as well or Maybe the APR FMIC - Both sound like they're fairly solid and worth the $$.

But I know slim to nill of turbos and have been reading alot of turbo tech articles to get atleast a background going.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:51 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Turbo Options for a 180Q

There's a crapload of threads on this. Del Rio makes a kit using the GIAC software. It's a little cheaper than APR kit but not much. IMO you're wasting your money unless you go big turbo. Cincytt really knows his stuff and I'm sure will reply to this so listen to him.

BTW, unless you know what you're doing, piecing a kit together yourself isn't a good idea. It'll be more headaches than it's worth and in all likely-hood you'll end up spending more money.

Don't waste your money buying a K04 kit. You'd be better off selling your 180 and getting a 225 if that's what you really want.

I myself plan on going del rio. Unfortunately my big real estate deal still hasn't closed. It's been 4 months and counting. Sometimes commission work really sucks.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-31-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear

well the Ko4 would be if my K03 ***** the bed before I can get a system figured out. Atleast w/ that I know itll work just fine w/ the GIAC software. As for pieceing the system - Most of it is items guys/gals use here on the forums - Tcarbon being cheap and effective and the T25, from what i've read, is pretty much just a little bigger K04 w/ more flow and "Better" durability all around.

As much as id love to snag a 225, NY is over priced and people think KBB is god. I figure I got my 180 for a steal and I don't mind putting some money into it. Im just looking for Reliabilty and Performance. Obv not throw me into the seat and tear the rear view off. Just more oomph at a Reasonable price.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Anos

well the Ko4 would be if my K03 ***** the bed before I can get a system figured out. Atleast w/ that I know itll work just fine w/ the GIAC software. As for pieceing the system - Most of it is items guys/gals use here on the forums - Tcarbon being cheap and effective and the T25, from what i've read, is pretty much just a little bigger K04 w/ more flow and "Better" durability all around.

As much as id love to snag a 225, NY is over priced and people think KBB is god. I figure I got my 180 for a steal and I don't mind putting some money into it. Im just looking for Reliabilty and Performance. Obv not throw me into the seat and tear the rear view off. Just more oomph at a Reasonable price.
Yeah, getting an intercooler is good. I live in Phoenix and my damn SMIC is heatsoaked constantly. I'm not sure if the T25 is a direct bolt-on. I'm sure cincy will know the answer though.

The big turbo kits aren't necessarily unreliable. Obviously modding your car at all you risk this... but I don't think either of the two kits I mentioned will significantly hurt reliability. I still say save up a bit longer and go with one of the kits.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 AM
1st Gear

I just cant justify spending almost $4700 on APR's stage III kit. Sure it would be cool but meh. Thats half the amount I paid for my car. Noooo thank you hehe. If I can get the Tcarbon FMIC for ~600 and a good replacement turbo for my dying K03 and the GIAC chip all for less then $2000 Ill be happy.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:33 AM

Make your own kit it will be around 1500.00. Check my thread "debating what to do" and you will find a huge convo with me and Cincy talking about doing a BT on my 180 FWD. It will pretty much be what you need.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm make believe

your not going to get good power for less than $2k.... sorry. The best way to go if your looking for a mid size turbo is the t3 60trim kit from pag parts. Should cost just over $3k with sw and ready to go. Better to save up a little longer and get something good from the begining than slapping together peices finding out you dont have what you need or the parts are incompatiable.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear

And is the T25/T25BB direct bolt on as well?
No...T25's use a Garrett T25 flange wherease K04's/K03's uses a KKK flange.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm make believe

wait wait.... wait. A T25 uses a T25 flange [:@]

The only turbos that use the same flange as a ko3/4 are the crappy elim turbos

Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Anos

I just cant justify spending almost $4700 on APR's stage III kit. Sure it would be cool but meh. Thats half the amount I paid for my car. Noooo thank you hehe. If I can get the Tcarbon FMIC for ~600 and a good replacement turbo for my dying K03 and the GIAC chip all for less then $2000 Ill be happy.
I believe the del rio guys are getting about 300whp... that's not bad at all. Considering your limited turbo knowledge,I highly doubt you'll make anywhere close to that with a pieced together set-up. Not reliably anyways.

Here's a good thread to read from vwvortex. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3080802

Quick Reply: Turbo Options for a 180Q