Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Why is my battery dead?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Why is my battery dead?

Okay, I have this strange problem that if I don't drive my car for about 3 - 4 days the battery needs to be recharged. It's fine if I drive it every day and even if I don't drive it for one day but whenever I let it sit for 3 days or more the TT wont start. Battery totally dead.
I even bought a brand new Optima Red Top battery which wasn't cheap and it still does it. So I know it isn't the battery. And the alternator does charge the battery or I wouldn't be driving it almost every day without problems. What else could cause this slow drain on the system?

Any ideas?

No, I don't have a warranty on the car so taking it to the dealer will be my very last resort.

Thanks for any help or thougths on the matter

Tom in INDY

Old 04-26-2005, 07:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Why is my battery dead?

ttt

Old 04-29-2005, 10:44 PM

I'm having the same problem. I've been driving my car and I don't have any problems, so it's not the alternator. I thought it was the battery. I have, in the past, left the car for all of 15 minutes and then returned to discover that it won't start. Won't even turn over. All I get is this clicking sound as I turn the ignition. Not even enough juice to turn over the engine. If I get a jump, I'm good until the next time....This is becoming really annoying.

When the engine turns over, it seems to really labor before it catches. It can't be the sparks because the battery would be dead. I notice that when I'm starting the car, the battery indicator dives down to almost nothing before the engine turns over and finally fires.

I've read a couple of posts and I'm now hesitant about replacing a bunch of perfectly good parts to sort out the problem. Neither am I comfortable taking it to a mechanic, so he can conduct a fishing exhibition. Any suggestions??

J.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:23 AM
1st Gear

James..not sure if you've replaced your battery, but if you haven't....do it. I had the same problem and it was because the battery just wouldn't hold a charge for long. Once it's started and the alternator is running, it kept the battery charged. If I left it for longer than a few hours, I needed a jump. Replacing the battery solved that problem.

Tom, sounds like you've replaced your battery. No advice there. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Administrator

All of you guyzz symptoms sound like there is some kinda problem with your respective charging systems. The simplest, and least expensive test of your charging system is to disconnect th ebattery while the vehicle is running. A properly functioning charging system will sustain the motor running, obviously, since your car certainly doesn't run off of the battery. If your car does not run when disconnected from the battery you have a problem with your charging system. A bad connection somewhere. A bad alternator. A surly elf (they're responsible for carrying the electrical charge from the fahrvergnugen to the backbahnhinternroller), or something along those lines.

If it is the charging system I'd start with thouroughly inspecting all connectione to and from your alternators, along with the wires. It doesn't cost anything to look for yourself and you might accidentally discover where the problem lies. If ANY of teh connections are dirty or corroded, CLEAN them. A wire brush works best, AND ensures that you'll scrape your knuckles, possibly drawing blood in the process. Don't worry, it builds character. If any the the insulation on any of the wires leading to/from your alternator looks melted or singhed you might want to consider a trip to the Stealer. Same holds true if it's the charging system, but there are no OBVIOUS problems.

Have fun!

Old 11-12-2015, 12:40 PM
1st Gear
Default If this is such a common issue why aren't they resolved?

2005 A4 1.8t Quattro

Low voltage when cranked after sitting for more than 12hrs.

Changed Battery to new Audi OEM one, changed Alternator, changed battery ground wire that had 8ohms (from one end to the other) to a new one and cleaned the contact lug on the chassis. Removed positive terminal and set a DVOM multi meter for DC amps and connected to the pos +12v terminal and the cable. I got 2.4 amps for approx 20 seconds until the computers shut down, then I get 0.089 amps (89mA) indefinitely. If I fully charge the battery, it fires the starter like it should, but after sitting in the car for about 3 days of normal driving, I start to notice sluggish cranking. If I leave the battery cable off and only connect it when I drive it, it starts fine. I attempted to remove the alarm and got the current to drop to 0.06 amps (60mA) but the vehicle continues to have the same issue. I'm contemplating changing the cable that connects the alternator to the battery, thinking since the ground had resistance through it, so might the positive and that might cause the battery not to charge fully. It's pricey $250.00 and rather not unless I have to. Any new advice will be welcomed.