Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Window glue dead - replacing convertible top... CHIME IN

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Default Window glue dead - replacing convertible top... CHIME IN

The factory glue on TT convertibles seems to have a life of about 5-8 years.. Then it give out... suddenly!

My window was hanging by just the bottom..... *sigh*

So I'm looking to order a new top online and replace the old with the new by myself. I'm pretty handy, but am at a loss as to finding a manual to accomplish this.

Anyone know where I can find or buy a manual for the job?

Thanks,
Shamus

Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

Just had to deal with the same thing! Mine's 5 years old and I had a gap on each bottom corner. Used epoxy glue to fix it. One side held the other didn't even after multiple tries. I ordered a Robbins top online and had a local shop install it for me. Saved me over $400 versus them ordering the top.
The shop told me once that heat seal breaks you can never fix it again.
Here's a website that sells tops and seems to offer installation instructions only in combination with buying a top from them.
http://www.topsonline.com/index.php?Conv_top_q

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

ouch.

I would sure try every possible remedy under $20 before i did that.

I wonder if it depends on how long it has been left out in 90 degree plus days or raised and lowered.

I just realized (after having car for 2.5 years) why my defogger quit working.
I noticed one wire off on the side. No doubt from bending twisting from upping and downing.

2002(2003 inservice) here.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:58 PM

when i noticed the fabric starting to unravel on my top i used a fabric glue from either Joeann's fabric store or a place like that.
its called e-6000 and its made by eclectic products inc.
i used it because it is flexible and water proof after it cures. that was five months ago and its still holding.
here's there website.
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000_series_retail.htm
you should try to repair it as soon as you can because it will just get worse and become more difficult to repair.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by alan93
ouch.

I would sure try every possible remedy under $20 before i did that.

I wonder if it depends on how long it has been left out in 90 degree plus days or raised and lowered.

I just realized (after having car for 2.5 years) why my defogger quit working.
I noticed one wire off on the side. No doubt from bending twisting from upping and downing.

2002(2003 inservice) here.
Trust me, the last thing I wanted to do was to spend $1400 after I just bought the car in December. ( I had spent another grand then to get all season high performance tires put on) Unfortunately my glueing attempts didn't work.
They told me at the convertible top shop how dangerous a loose window could be. They claimed it was possible to cruise along at 65mph and the window could just pop out. Well I didn't quite buy that but decided to go ahead with a new top anyway since I want to drive it in winter.
On my way over there to drop off the car I was on the highway when I heard a ripping noise and I thought "oh crap! here goes the window..." But I couldn't tell where it had ripped. Anyway I was glad at this point to replace the top instead of taking any chances of more damage.

As for the rear defogger problem, I used to have a Sebring Conv. where the contacts for the defogger kept falling off the glass. They tried gluing about 4 different times and nothing worked. I suppose if i hadn't put the top down anymore it would've stayed on,lol. Since the car was still under warranty then, they decided to replace the entire top to make it easier to install rather than just the rear window. ( American tops are 2 piece with the window piece separate from the rest)

you might be able to just splice a piece of wire in there if the contacts are still attached to the glass.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Same just happened on my 08 A4 Cabriolet. One day I kept hearing cars drive by like the window was down. I finally found that the bottom and sides of my window were no longer attached. It was just hanging by the top. I bought a silicone adheasive/sealant. It is weatherproof and good for -60 - 160 degrees F. Was kinda messy going on, but cleaned up nicely with a razor. So far it works well. I even dumped some water on it 2 days later and none leaked through... The tube was $5 at Kmart