B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Airbag check light -2001 audi A4 quarttro

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Airbag check light -2001 audi A4 quarttro

Here's my question,
Ihad my front drivers seat upholsteryrecently repaired.The tear was across the bottom of the seat.After ther repairI noticed that the airbag check light would stay on when the car is running and it never did this before the repair. I am not surewhat the seat upholstery shop did but I would not be goingback.This is what Ihave done sofar, I have removed the connectors underneat the seat and re-attached them. Also,removed the car batteryterminal andreconnected it. Both my actions did not yield any results. I was wondering it maybe the shop had damaged an airbag seat sensor, if that is possible or if the airbag system needs to be reset since it was disconnected. I was hoping the a battery disconnect woulddo that. I would appreciate some ideas/thoughts in resolving this issue.Thankyou.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Airbag check light -2001 audi A4 quarttro

I have the same problem. my car is a 2001 a4 1.8t with 109k miles. the light only pops up every once and a while i havent done anything about it but i would like to know how to fix that too

Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

take out the drivers seat, there's a yellow connector peeice for your airbag, it probably got damaged in the removal. I had the same problem, paid stupid money to have my mechanic fix it. Just pull the part and source it online.

If I recall its about a 1.5 cu.in. plastic 'box' (yellow) with a loop coming off of it, about 4" in length. I cant remember if the loop was a wire or just a plastic bit to hook onto something. But you should be able to locate the part you need to replace from the description above.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator

You don't have to take the seat out on a B5. Look under the front of the seat - you'll see two harnesses there. The yellow one (closer to the center of the car) is the airbag connector. Zip-tie it tightly together, and then have the light turned off (find someone nearby with VagCom to do it for you - a dealer will hit you at least a half-hour labor to do it). Be careful when zip-tying though - the wires are small and the ones on the back could get pinched and damaged.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

what he said ^

Yea.. my mechanic took my seat out to do mine.... not sure why. I think it might have been to shop vac all the water out of my car.. when I ran the power for my subs, I dropped the power cable down through the trunk release area & didn't seal it too good on the outside... my car spent a winter with wet, frozen floors lol

Needless to say I caulked that hole up pretty fast once I realized what was going on.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the responses:
Iknow thatthe Airbag connector is fitted tightlybut I know that the airbag lightstayed consistently onafter the shop worked on my drivers seat, that I am 100% sure.
"absolute 1.8T" will the VagCom device reset the airbags (Sorry for the ignorance)and where could I purchase one for a decent price?
Also, if there is anyone in the Kansas Cityarea that has this deviceand would not mine helping me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

VagCom is the diagnostic software/interface used to do all of the resetting/clearing of codes, unlocking of some features in the car, etc. You download the software from www.ross-tech.com and you can buy the interface cable on eBay for around $20ish. Then you're good to go.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

In your opinion, is that all (VagCom Device)you think the car needs to remove the Airbag check light? Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Yep, you can use Vag and it'll tell you which airbag is faulting on you (ie, driver's side airbag - which is the one in the seat). Then you zip-tie the offending connector, and Vag will allow you to turn the light off. It's very common to get these faults on this car - the connector is so sensitive that even putting the seat all the way back is often enough to strain the connector and trip the light. That's what happened to me. I zip-tied it, and Hiwords turned the light off with his VagCom for me, and that was that

Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the help. I am going to purchase the connector and download the software. Will keep you'll informed on the out come.

Quick Reply: Airbag check light -2001 audi A4 quarttro