B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1997 A4 B5 Quattro not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Default 1997 A4 B5 Quattro not starting

So I recently bought a 1997 A4 B5 Quattro and the temp gauge didn't work. So I went to replace the ECT sensor and it was corroded to the point where it was cut in half. I got it out and replaced it, but in the process one of the wires on the connector to the sensor broke off and long story short I took all the wires off the connector and put them back in it the way I took them out. I figured since I'd replaced the bad ect sensor and fixed the wiring issue it'd start back up, but it wouldn't. It fires and sounds like it's going to start but it just won't. I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn on the ignition and there's no vacuum leaks or exposed sensors. I'm out of ideas, I've looked on some other forums and saw people saying to disconnect the battery and let it sit and it'll start up. I disconnected the battery and I'm gonna hook it back up tomorrow morning, but if that doesn't work I don't know what the problem is, any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

Did you get it fixed. I have a 97 FWD 12V V6 and I once drove the car home from having a shop give me an estimate on some work. Went upstairs and when I went to start it again it didn't start. Everything seemed to be in order.

The gas gauge said around 1/8 tank. All of a sudden I got this idea - what if I was out of gas. Normally with the amount showing on the gauge I am fine and the low gas indicator light never came on, but what if they were off (for some reason). Called AAA and had them put 2 gallons in. Car started right up.

Since then it seems to operate as it did before. Cannot say what happened then. But if you still cannot get it to start try that.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ProfileTrader
Did you get it fixed. I have a 97 FWD 12V V6 and I once drove the car home from having a shop give me an estimate on some work. Went upstairs and when I went to start it again it didn't start. Everything seemed to be in order.

The gas gauge said around 1/8 tank. All of a sudden I got this idea - what if I was out of gas. Normally with the amount showing on the gauge I am fine and the low gas indicator light never came on, but what if they were off (for some reason). Called AAA and had them put 2 gallons in. Car started right up.

Since then it seems to operate as it did before. Cannot say what happened then. But if you still cannot get it to start try that.
yea I got it to start it wasn't that although my gas light was on. It was the wiring to the connector that I mentioned. I didn't push the copper wire all the way into the connector and I guess it wasn't getting a connection but after I fixed it the temp gauge still doesn't work but I'll deal with that as long as it starts up lol

Old 01-17-2017, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

good to hear.