B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1999 Audi A4 1.8t quattro not starting! Need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM
1st Gear
Default 1999 Audi A4 1.8t quattro not starting! Need help asap!

Hey guys really need help on this problem as soon as possible! Thank you!

So I was going to work this morning, car started fine as usual no issues no CEL or anything. As I was going to work bout 20 mins into my drive the car just lost all power when I pushed the petal it did nothing it slowly came to a stop. All the lights still worked but the car just shut off and battery light was on. I parked the car and turned everything off! When I tried to start it it was a whining/humming sound but no motor sound. I checked the belts and all my belts are still intact they do not look like they came off track. The battery terminals are all solid connected. The battery is new only about 9 months old. When turning the key all the pulleys and belts move but just a whining sound with no motor sound at all! It is not a clicking sound. I can only think of a wire came lose from my starter? My starter is bad? Or maybe the Alternator? Any one able to confirm any of these as the problem? Or maybe it is something I am missing! Someone help please! Thank you!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

Have you tried jumping it? If you have a multimeter see what the voltage is at your battery. I believe it needs 12.6 V to start. If it starts when you jump it and dies when you d/c it I would say alternator.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

So your saying when you try and start it it doesn't even turn over? (belts don't move) If that is the case then it is either a battery/alternator/starter problem for sure. Probably not a starter since the car shouldn't die when the engine is already started if the starter is bad. Check alternator and battery. If your car does turn over but doesn't start then that can be alot of things.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

I did not try to jump start it because it did not seem like that was the problem. I could be wrong but I will have to try that later. Would the alternator cause the car to shut off while driving? I know when my alternator went in a older car all my lights dimmed and the car did die, which is not what this one did. I can still get in and all my electrical stuff works without problem. The belts all turn as they should and no belts are frayed or broken.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

I hate to even think this, but could the timing belt have snapped and caused the engine to seize? Have you taken off the timing belt cover to see if the timing belt is attached?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jdahlen24
I hate to even think this, but could the timing belt have snapped and caused the engine to seize? Have you taken off the timing belt cover to see if the timing belt is attached?
I did take the timing belt cover off the top and had my wife try to start the car and the timing belt did not move...at all! It is still in one piece but does not move.. What does that mean?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM

Maybe the tensioner failed and the belt is no longer engaging the pulleys. This sounds like a tough situation to be in.

When was the car's last timing belt service? Do you have documentation showing all the parts that were replaced? (timing belt, tensioner, etc.)

Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Maybe the tensioner failed and the belt is no longer engaging the pulleys. This sounds like a tough situation to be in.

When was the car's last timing belt service? Do you have documentation showing all the parts that were replaced? (timing belt, tensioner, etc.)
I only pulled the cover out just enough to see the belt not move. It has tension on it like its tight with no slack. I got the car in May 2010 and it has 162k miles now. When I got it I did not get any paper work if the timing belt was ever done or not. I wanted to get it done but kept putting it off since all the other **** went wrong with it first.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:48 PM

So then at this point we don't really know what the issue is, right? I mean, are you sure the crankshaft is spinning?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
So then at this point we don't really know what the issue is, right? I mean, are you sure the crankshaft is spinning?
How could I check that?

Quick Reply: 1999 Audi A4 1.8t quattro not starting! Need help asap!