B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2000 Audi a4 quattro 1.8t In Depth Timing Belt

Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi a4 quattro 1.8t In Depth Timing Belt

So this is my first time posting, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post or if this a repeat. I bought my buddy's audi recently. I did most of the work on it prior, so i know what needs to be done. I currently ripped out the interior and cleaned the S*** out of it and it looks great now. Point of the matter. I know it leaks lot of oil and the timing belt hasn't been replaced.

I know the valve cover leaks and i plan on doing that. Should i be changing the oil pan gasket too? Should i change the oil pump and or the gasket for it? Should i change the crankshaft gasket, not the seal, but theres a gasket down there that supposedly leaks around the front of the crank case?

I plan on changing the crankshaft seal and the cam shaft seals. What special tools do i need to do those? Locking pin for the crank? Do i need to lock the camshaft too?

Changing the valve cover gasket, should i change the chain and the tensioner? I bought the tool to remove tension so i can change the half moon in the rear.

Any help would be appreciated!!! I do currently have the timing belt exposed. I could take it off but i want to prepare myself for the journey beyond.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

hi, friend, sorry to hear that, maybe you should replace the Seal ring, its broken would effect the leaking. hope it can help you.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bonnie sacer
hi, friend, sorry to hear that, maybe you should replace the Seal ring, its broken would effect the leaking. hope it can help you.
I'll definitely be replacing the crankshaft seal. Do I absolutely need the locking pin to replace that seal though?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

Best practice is to lock the cam and the crank down so they don't shift on you but I think it's way more common and way more important on the 2.8. With the 1.8t's you just need to line up the two marks on the cam and two marks on the crank when you put the belt on so you can (though not advised) just do everything by hand. I have a 2.8 though so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Regarding oil: The crank and cam seals can come out with another one-off expensive audi tool but if you watch a few videos you can see people just use a small pick to get them out, and a cylinder or large socket to get them back on.

As far as WHICH oil should you do? You tell us. Where is it leaking? Since youre in the t-belt and you think it's leaking from the crank and/or cam seals, sure do those. But since the other seals (valve cover, tensioner, etc.) aren't as involved, you can do those one at a time as you come across them.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by elduderino200
Best practice is to lock the cam and the crank down so they don't shift on you but I think it's way more common and way more important on the 2.8. With the 1.8t's you just need to line up the two marks on the cam and two marks on the crank when you put the belt on so you can (though not advised) just do everything by hand. I have a 2.8 though so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Regarding oil: The crank and cam seals can come out with another one-off expensive audi tool but if you watch a few videos you can see people just use a small pick to get them out, and a cylinder or large socket to get them back on.

As far as WHICH oil should you do? You tell us. Where is it leaking? Since youre in the t-belt and you think it's leaking from the crank and/or cam seals, sure do those. But since the other seals (valve cover, tensioner, etc.) aren't as involved, you can do those one at a time as you come across them.
How would I go about locking the cam on a 1.8?

The valve cover gasket is a high priority. Oil leaks from there quite a bit. So I will be replacing the half moon on the cam tensioner as well.

I found the two cam seals are leaking a little. The crank seal has all sorts of crap and oil down there. Would it be a good idea to use the crank locking pin for replacing that seal?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear

You can buy locking tools or you can rent them from german/audi parts websites. As far as the actual procedure? Not sure.

If you're going to do work on the crank/crank seal, I would suggest locking it in place, yes.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by elduderino200
You can buy locking tools or you can rent them from german/audi parts websites. As far as the actual procedure? Not sure.

If you're going to do work on the crank/crank seal, I would suggest locking it in place, yes.
I'll go ahead and get the crank locking pin then for that seal. I'm still unsure of how to lock the 1.8 cam out tho any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2017, 02:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TWallo33
I'll go ahead and get the crank locking pin then for that seal. I'm still unsure of how to lock the 1.8 cam out tho any suggestions?
which locking pin part number should I be using for the 1.8t? Should I use the locking plate tool too and it instead?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear

No idea sorry man. Youtube/google will help or chat with ECStuning or Europaparts, etc.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Update!

So. I have yet to take the timing belt off. I cracked the camshaft and crankshaft bolts loose. I got the valve cover loose. I just need all my parts and tools to come in. Then im gonna dive on! I am gonna order a crank and cam sensor soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Audi a4 quattro 1.8t In Depth Timing Belt