B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

90K mile service

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear
Default 90K mile service

Hi,
I got a Audi A4 1999 model. It is a 2.8: with 6 cylinders. Now, i need to do a 90K mile service on this one. What all shud i concentrate on?
Meineke said
Spark plugs, brake fluid flush, cabin/oil filters,oil change - All for $420
Firestone : all the above plus a complete check of car, change drive belts (this alone was 200+) upping the total to $700.

Should i necessarily change the drive belts? The timing belt had already been changed....

Thanks

Old 09-13-2008, 05:38 PM

$700! You can get a tuneup at the stealership for $600 and I wouldn't recommend that either. Oil change/air filter/cabin filter/spark plugs/check all fluids and add or change whats necessary (brake/power steering/coolant/transmission/gearboxes/washer)

Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

So the drive belts change isnt needed?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:18 PM

The belts should be one of the things to check but not necessarily replaced.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:20 PM

BTW... You don't wanna bring your audi to one of those franchise shops unless you are just getting tires. Look up audi service stations in your area.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

oh that helps... thanks a lot Ryan..

Old 09-13-2008, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

You mean dedicated Audi service stations and not people like Firestone or Meineke?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Yes, an Audi or European repair shop. Firestone and midas/meineke will not know your car as good and have a history of not putting parts back on such as skid plate or screws or clips to your airbox. Not to mention those franchise shops have certain quotas to keep up and lists of stuff to push and they run on employee commission.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ryanylva
$700! You can get a tuneup at the stealership for $600 and I wouldn't recommend that either. Oil change/air filter/cabin filter/spark plugs/check all fluids and add or change whats necessary (brake/power steering/coolant/transmission/gearboxes/washer)
you can do an oil/filter change yourself easily

air filter and cabin filter can be done blindfolded

spark plugs ar also a cinch, anyone with a wratchet and a gapper can easily change the se in less than 30 min...

I would suggest taking it to a local trusted shop and having your brake fluid replaced and transmission/differential fluid replaced)

if your timing belt has already been done, than your coolant was most likely done at the same time....so, no need to worry about either....

washer fluid can be bought cheply by the gallon and you just top off the resevoir....

I would say that you could easily do most of this at home....no need to waste hundreds on labor....

take it to a european shop that specializes in vw/audi....just have them do your trans/diffs and brake fluid.....it will most likely run you 400$....you must keep in mind that labor will run $80-110/hr....

usually when my car goes in i have them write me a "love list", all the things that the car will need in the near future, it's how I keep ahead....

my last lovelist had 6k of things that should be done....about 2.5k was for parts and the other 3.5k was for labor....I bought all the parts i would need from the interweb(much cheaper than stealership prices)...I prolly spent about 2k on parts and then I did 95% DIY...the other 5% was a clutch, which I had done for about 500$....so, I would suggest saving $ on labor wherever you can or your car will sink you financially...

I see it as every hour I spend on my car i save $85 (labor rate at my shop)....this week alone I sintalled over 1k in parts (mostly aftermarket ) and I prolly spent about 15 hours...the way i see it, I saved $1,275 in labor alone!

well, good luck!

audidiy.com is your friend and will help you out BIG TIME!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

oh thanks so much. I would very much like to, but am just jittery. Have never done this before, in fact earlier when i had to change my valve cover gasket, another Audi Forum member (Upstate NY) helpd me out, but i ahve still not got the courage to do it alone. Maybe I'll start with the plugs this time and see how it goes.
Is the NGK (Part : BKR6EKUB ) good enough? I saw that for $40 (for 6 plugs) in ECSTuning

Quick Reply: 90K mile service