B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

'99 Door Lock Issues (Fuel Door a Priority)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM
1st Gear
Default '99 Door Lock Issues (Fuel Door a Priority)

Hey, A few weeks back I purchased a '99 A4 1.8T, and at the time the keyless entry did not have any batteries in it.

In addition, the drivers interior power lock switch does not work, but it still worked with the key itself.

Anyway, I reprogrammed the remote and got that working, and I figured I would just leave the interior power lock switch as it is for the time being. Well, today I tried to unlock the car with the keyless entry remote, and clicked it twice so I could also throw something in the trunk, but only the drivers door unlocked. It should have unlocked all the doors, and the trunk, as well as the fuel door.

I figured, oh well, and then attempted to use the key itself in the drivers door, turning it all the way to the left to unlock everything like I did when I first got the car.

But, that didn't work either. I am still able to open the trunk by inserting the key directly into the trunk, but now how the heck am I supposed to get the fuel door open? Its currently locked, and the horn goes off when it is pushed on. Reading up on this, Apparently I am supposed to dig around in the trunk and find a release cable, but do I have to do this every time until I get the locks fixed? Also does anyone know why this would fail so suddenly? Was it the central lock pump? Why does the drivers door still work, is it on a separate system? Will this eventually also happen to the drivers door, preventing me from even getting in the car?

Thanks in advance for any help or responses.

Last edited by Oddy Ay Fore; 08-22-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM

to unlock the fuel door. pull the carpet on the right side back and reach up twords the fuel door. Youll feel like a little "rod type thing" pull the back.

It sounds like you have a weird central locking problem with the doors not unlocking.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM
3rd Gear

Usually the first place to start with B5 central locking issues is the pump. If it's leaking, it will cause some strange unlocking problems, and usually some noise while attempting to unlock. Other issues include rust in the connector and harness due to water entry or a failing door lock assembly on the drivers door.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Just wanna say thanks for your help with the fuel door, It was way simpler than I thought.

Honestly the only remotely difficult part was actually getting the trunk liner back into place.