B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi a4 engine problems $$$ reward!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi a4 engine problems $$$ reward!!

The deal is if anyone correctly diagnose my engine problems i will paypal them 20$ NO BULLSHIT. The car has been to an audi dealership, pepboys, and my personal mechanic and they have yet to find the problem.

CAR: 1999 audi a4 2.8
TRANNY: AUTO

Symtoms: When the car is turned on (Not cranked yet) i hear the fuel relay clicking , but as soon as a crank and start the car it goes away. Sometimes the car would hesitate while driving not reving past 2000 rpm mark, always shifting gear at 2000 mark no matter how hard you push the gas. But the weird thing is that it does it about 50/50 of the time i drive it. Somtimes it would drive fine, the next time i drive it, it would start hesitating again.

Car would also sometimes have trouble starting.
I replaced the spark plugs, ignition system, fuel relay.

I know im new here on the forums, but this deal is legit. I will guarentee ill send you $$ if your info leads me to fixing this annoying problem.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear

problem : your tranny is goign to go out... solution: get a new tranny! $20 bucks please!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 PM

How are trans fluid levels first?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by flynnr
problem : your tranny is goign to go out... solution: get a new tranny! $20 bucks please!
What makes you say its tranny related? It does shutter hard everytime i go from neutral to drive/reverse but i was thinking its ECU or SENSOR related. If it was a tranny problem wound't the problem occur everytime and not half the time im driving it??

Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JorgenA4
How are trans fluid levels first?
Didn't check the tranny fluid, i thought Automatics didn't require many tranny flushes.

Why is that a common problem that can lead to these can of symtoms?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM

Well I was just saying check the fluid levels and color. A flush in a trans that has never been flush tends to be a bit dangerous, I would stay away from that. I have had cars with some of these symptoms that were low on fluid. Follow the proper instructions (usually hot trans on level surface check fluid with the car running in park) and check the fluid levels, if you are very low put the proper amount of the proper fluid in and see iff that helps. if it does it might be worth pulling the pan, replacing the filter and putting new fluid in (assuming those autos have pan and filter easily accessible, never personally dealt with an A4 auto).

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

Tranny fluid will be checked then by tommarow, if it help you get the $$$.

Don't stop, keep the ideas coming.

Theres nothing ecu/sensor/ignition related that could cause these problems/symtoms?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Legal Moderator

had a similar problem with my grand am. would have hella trouble getting started. would crank, hit, and die repeatedly and sometimes shut off while driving. problem? lock cylinder. on gm passlock system, the cylinder sends a signal to the computer and the computer generates a code which is supposed to match the one made by the cylinder. the cylinder was lagging on the code and thus the vehicle wouldnt start not sure how audi security systems work, but i would bank on something quite similar. definately sounds like an electrical problem though. if it was mechancial, 9/10 you would experience symptoms 100% of the time, but you only experience them 50%.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
had a similar problem with my grand am. would have hella trouble getting started. would crank, hit, and die repeatedly and sometimes shut off while driving. problem? lock cylinder. on gm passlock system, the cylinder sends a signal to the computer and the computer generates a code which is supposed to match the one made by the cylinder. the cylinder was lagging on the code and thus the vehicle wouldnt start not sure how audi security systems work, but i would bank on something quite similar. definately sounds like an electrical problem though. if it was mechancial, 9/10 you would experience symptoms 100% of the time, but you only experience them 50%.
Good stuff, that seems very highly pausable.

Anyone else have this happen to them, except on their audi??

Old 04-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Sounds like the Tranny is taking a dump. Sorry that you have an automatic. They blow for that.
Starting issues....Check and test fuel pump, replace fuel filter, check crank sensor. Vac lines as well. These are just ideas since I do not have a diag machine and I'm staring at your car.

Quick Reply: Audi a4 engine problems $$$ reward!!