AudiForums.com

Go Back   AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A4 > B5 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Parts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceGarageUsed CarsVendor Directory
Search
Welcome to AudiForums.com

B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default A4 - Transmission Issue - Please help!

Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Automatic

I have a 1999 A4 with about 115 thousand miles. I have been having transmission issues (the tranny is shifting really hard and loudly. Often the engine revs to 4000 rpm before it bangs into gear) so I took my car into the dealership to have the problem diagnosed. They told me I need a new transmission (with labor cost will come to around $6500). I asked for a report of what exactly was wrong with the car and this is what the report they provided to me said:



-Check fluid level/ pass
-Code in ECM for throttlebody
Code in TeM for brake ,light swltch-
Test,drove:to verify customers concern -used scan tool data to check
transmission torque converter/ pass
Used scan data to check for valve body operation - Pass
-use scan data to check for correct solenoid engagement pass
-use scan data to monitor speed signals/ fail

test drove with shop foremen as to Verify diagnostic; shifting between first, into second and
second to third the transmission module cannot see the proper output speed, therefore the transmission module is forcing itself into gear at the last possible moment. There is no, repair procedure due to the failed item within the transmission. (Internal transmission parts are
non-serviceable). Technician recommends replacement of the complete transmission assembly.
Can diagnose throttle body and brake lightswitch after transmission repair.



What do you guys think? I donít want to pay for a new transmission installation that will cost more than what the car is worth.

Thanks!!!
  #2  
Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 PM
AutoUnionFan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 1,090
Points: 3,683, Level: 38
Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38
Level up: 22%, 117 Points needed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Daily Activity: 0%
Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0%
Default

From the dealers notes it sounds like a speed sensor problem.

Ask the dealer exactly what sensor is the problem and do some research to figure out what the repair would involve.

It does not seem like a bad sensor should require a new transmission, just a new sensor. Call some local shops that specialize in Audi or VW transmissions and get there opinion.

If the transmission does need to be replaced (as a last resort) you can by used ones. My wife is replacing the transmission in her VW golf and the dealer was going to charge her $5000. After some searching, we found a place to install a used one for $1500 with a one year warranty.
__________________
2001 A4qm 1.8T : spt pkg : xenon : light mods < GIAC flashed / N75J / K&N drop in / A8 bbk / JHM ssts >
  #3  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for the advice, can anyone else add anything to this?
  #4  
Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 171
Default

I'd suggest changing the tranny fluid and filter yourself. Should cost you about $150 with Audi Fluid and less if you want to use another brand. Just b/c the fluid level is ok doesn't mean that it is clean. Likewise, try finding out where the speed sensor is and if you can replace it. If neither of these work, sell the car.
__________________
'98 A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic
  #5  
Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Tweaked's Avatar
3rd Gear

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,900
Points: 5,142, Level: 45
Points: 5,142, Level: 45 Points: 5,142, Level: 45 Points: 5,142, Level: 45
Level up: 96%, 8 Points needed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Daily Activity: 3.4%
Daily Activity: 3.4% Daily Activity: 3.4% Daily Activity: 3.4%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan View Post
From the dealers notes it sounds like a speed sensor problem.
Not a vehicle speed sensor, output shaft speed sensor. From the symptoms, it sounds like a bad valve body. On a car with a notoriously weak trans and 115K miles, it's not wise to simply swap out a valve body and sensors for $4000 when the customer could come back at any moment complaining of slipping clutch packs or a torque converter clutch that wont engage.

There are other diagnostic paths to proceed with, but essentially, going into the trans will cost some coin and these particular transmissions are not worth rebuilding. They will likely find you need a new trans anyway and will have wasted hours of their time and your money beating a dead horse.

Your best bet is a junkyard trans replacement. To verify the issue, take it to another dealer for diagnosis without telling them what the first dealer found. If they come up with the same result, you'll know what your looking at and get the best price for replacing your trans with a junkyard swap-in.
__________________
Porsche & Audi Certified Technician
Porsche & Audi Certified Geek
  #6  
Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 AM
AutoUnionFan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 1,090
Points: 3,683, Level: 38
Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38
Level up: 22%, 117 Points needed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Daily Activity: 0%
Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0%
Default

If the transmission isnt slipping then you should probably invest a little time and effort into trying to fix it before investing thousands of dollars or selling the car.

The first thing I would do would be to find a vag-com and check the sensor outputs as you drive. Check for any numbers that are out of spec. If it is the output shaft speed sensor, you should look into changing it yourself, if possible. Maybe Tweaked knows what this would involve.

One thing to be careful with on the fluid change - the transmission adapts to the fluid viscosity. Make sure you put it into adaptive mode after the fluid has been changed so that it can properly adjust to the new fluid, or you could cause even more damage.
__________________
2001 A4qm 1.8T : spt pkg : xenon : light mods < GIAC flashed / N75J / K&N drop in / A8 bbk / JHM ssts >
  #7  
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan View Post
If the transmission isnt slipping then you should probably invest a little time and effort into trying to fix it before investing thousands of dollars or selling the car.

The first thing I would do would be to find a vag-com and check the sensor outputs as you drive. Check for any numbers that are out of spec. If it is the output shaft speed sensor, you should look into changing it yourself, if possible. Maybe Tweaked knows what this would involve.

One thing to be careful with on the fluid change - the transmission adapts to the fluid viscosity. Make sure you put it into adaptive mode after the fluid has been changed so that it can properly adjust to the new fluid, or you could cause even more damage.
NOOB here....
i just did a search on "adaptive mode" and didnt really find out a couple things that i need to know... first... what is adaptive mode, and second, how do you do this?
Sorry for the rookie questions, but Im an aircooled VW guy....and this is my first "real" car.

oh... ive got a 04 A4 1.8t...

thanks
  #8  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
AutoUnionFan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 1,090
Points: 3,683, Level: 38
Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38
Level up: 22%, 117 Points needed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Daily Activity: 0%
Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0%
Default

^good questions

I read about it when doing research on the 4-speed transmission in my wife's golf. Apparently, the transmission is constantly adapting to drivers habits, the fluid conditions etc. A VW mechanic told me that changing the fluid can shock the system and cause damage because overtime it has adapted to the dirty transmission fluid. If you change the fluid and the old stuff is significantly different from the new clean stuff, then you could have a problem. All of the learning that the transmission did wont apply and potential problems could occur. You can effectively reset the learning or put it into unconditioned mode where it will adapt to current conditions and not rely so much or past conditions.

Im not sure exactly how you activate this mode for the 04 1.8t. For the VW it involved holding in the gas pedal, then braking in some sytematic way.
__________________
2001 A4qm 1.8T : spt pkg : xenon : light mods < GIAC flashed / N75J / K&N drop in / A8 bbk / JHM ssts >
  #9  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpdx View Post
Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Automatic

I have a 1999 A4 with about 115 thousand miles. I have been having transmission issues (the tranny is shifting really hard and loudly. Often the engine revs to 4000 rpm before it bangs into gear) so I took my car into the dealership to have the problem diagnosed. They told me I need a new transmission (with labor cost will come to around $6500). I asked for a report of what exactly was wrong with the car and this is what the report they provided to me said:



-Check fluid level/ pass
-Code in ECM for throttlebody
Code in TeM for brake ,light swltch-
Test,drove:to verify customers concern -used scan tool data to check
transmission torque converter/ pass
Used scan data to check for valve body operation - Pass
-use scan data to check for correct solenoid engagement pass
-use scan data to monitor speed signals/ fail

test drove with shop foremen as to Verify diagnostic; shifting between first, into second and
second to third the transmission module cannot see the proper output speed, therefore the transmission module is forcing itself into gear at the last possible moment. There is no, repair procedure due to the failed item within the transmission. (Internal transmission parts are
non-serviceable). Technician recommends replacement of the complete transmission assembly.
Can diagnose throttle body and brake lightswitch after transmission repair.



What do you guys think? I donít want to pay for a new transmission installation that will cost more than what the car is worth.

Thanks!!!
This is the real trap with a car, repairs are more than the present value. The best people I know on this subject "HRGWest", the owner is Joe Henry. HRG prepares the auto feature "Behind the Wheel" . They invented the whole car test thing! He raced cars, build race tracks the whole deal. HRG helped me with a BMW, engine block problem. From the factory, the cylinder bores were off center, and out of spec. Prove that to BMW ! He did it.
Best of luck,
joe-henry@att.net
  #10  
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
4th Gear

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,358
jc61990 JcMallozzi xx7r3klngxx
Points: 8,526, Level: 62
Points: 8,526, Level: 62 Points: 8,526, Level: 62 Points: 8,526, Level: 62
Level up: 26%, 224 Points needed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Daily Activity: 0%
Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to Jc61990
Default

how are all the mounts? snub, tranny motor.

i had issued with my tranny, same crap 1st would slip out to about 4k then i the car would jerk and u hear a bang as it goes into the next gear. i went to the dealer and they charged me 900$ to change the tranny fluid and a main seal. but i only say check the mounts cause ive heard of tranny issues due to bad mounts
__________________
J.C. | 2002 Blue TT Coupe 1.8Tqm
Prev:1999.5 Brilliant Black A4 1.8TQ
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
 
 
 
Reply


Tags
18, 1999, a4, audi, b7, body, hard, output, replacement, reset, selling, shaft, shifting, transmission, valve


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© Internet Brands, Inc.
Emails Backup