B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A4 - Transmission Issue - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by wildside
what is adaptive mode
Many late-model automatic transmission cars have adaptive capabilities, many luxury companies as far back as the early '90's. Simply resetting the trans computer (unplugging the battery or module overnight) will set the transmission back into adaptive mode as it will have to relearn and remodify the factory maps to best suit the driver.

BUT... there is an easier way to re-adapt an adaptive trans control module: Drive it. The computer is constantly re-adapting itself and learning new patterns to re-modify the maps based on real-time sensor data. It would only take a few drive cycles to work out the kinks of new fluid. Yes, the "book" method of replacing fluid requires adapting, but I'd be willing to bet many after-market techs have never done this. Realize that it is also impossible to adapt a trans control module for another driver when you have no idea how they drive or in what conditions. Thusly, a tech "adapting" the TCM for a customer is fruitless.

Anyone remember "sport," "normal," or "economy" buttons on the trans shifter? Those were there because the trans control modules did not "learn" driver patterns. Those buttons allowed the driver to change the shift characteristics as necessary. Newer trans generally do not have these features because they are adaptive.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 PM

what you could do is try to find a used tranny, which could easily find for 1000,
i own a a6 the clutch converter didn't work so i looked for a used tranny, which i got for $875, which i got installed for $350, to my bad luck that tranny was messed up too, luckily i had a warranty, i got my money back and my mechanic got me another tranny for $800, of course i had to pay him again but he gave me a good deal.. you do have to get a well trusted mechanic that knows what he is doing...

Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 PM

what you could do is try to find a used tranny, which could easily find for 1000,
i own a a6 the clutch converter didn't work so i looked for a used tranny, which i got for $875, which i got installed for $350, to my bad luck that tranny was messed up too, luckily i had a warranty, i got my money back and my mechanic got me another tranny for $800, of course i had to pay him again but he gave me a good deal.. you do have to get a well trusted mechanic that knows what he is doing...