B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Abs+Flashing Brake light=Module related question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

still free?

Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download

DL link at the bottom of the page

Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

That's what I thought......and that's what I was trying to say.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

I still believe the $99 version of LITE is required to do anything useful, as in module reading and re- Coding, and to monitor data points. i've been around awhile and started with the free one, and found I needed the $99 version to do any input. Yes, the free version will read, only, as I remember. get the free one to start. But half the battle is reading codes, which maybe the free version will give you. Cant' shoot in the dark with an Audi.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear

I too have found the cheap (not even VCDS - but all code readers) can only send information down the cable to your computer. You need the real deal to send info back up.
However, I have found you can do a lot with only reading info, plotting data, etc. But if you absolutely must send a signal UP the pipe, yeah you need to pay.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys so little update,
thanks for all the responses.
I actually downloaded the VCDS program while back and I remember it was free, i think i still have it on laptop, just lost my cable for it so I'm waiting on another one.
Meantime, I had 2 ABS sensors sitting here from previous orders and i thought i'd replace those first. As seen in picture they where in pretty bad shape after removal.
So tricky part is this, i changed left sensor it drove fine and ABS + Brake blinking light would come on and go away as it did before, so yesterday i replaced the right side one and took a drive and right off the bat i noticed when slowing down it would make grinding noise and have no braking power, I'm not sure if this engaged the abs because right sensor was bad or what could be the deal, because after left one replacement it never did this.
I am planning on checking the abs rings and clean them again and order another right sensor to see if this will fix issue.
while i was doing the sensor replacement i noticed the boot leak which was from the right axle and i did little patch work lol what do you all think.. i think it will prolong the boot for few months hopefully.. i used electric tape to wrap up slight torn area then zip tied it

Old 10-20-2016, 02:48 PM
1st Gear
Post Pics

Here are pics..

Attached Thumbnails Abs+Flashing Brake light=Module related question?-image1.jpeg   Abs+Flashing Brake light=Module related question?-image6.jpeg   Abs+Flashing Brake light=Module related question?-image2.jpeg   Abs+Flashing Brake light=Module related question?-image5.jpeg  
Old 10-21-2016, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear

Cleaning the sensors won't do anything if they're bad. I'm pretty sure you can borrow a sensor tester from any auto parts store. Try that.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

does anyone know what makes an ABS sensor bad? I don't. The ABS sensor has a stop at the point at which it is seated correctly. one of yours looks like it was grinding on the sounding ring on the hub (ie, driven too deeply into the hole).

You can not fix a CV boot, other than replacing it. Check with the local dealer for a price for a boot kit (rubber boot and axle stretch bolt) before ordering online - might be the same price. I've only done about 5 CV/boot replacements, so I get it.