B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ABS yellow light is ON, Brake red light is flashing, cuise control does not work

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb ABS yellow light is ON, Brake red light is flashing, cuise control does not work

My car is a 1998 (B5) Audi A4 Quattro 30V V6 2.8 MANUAL... The mileage is only 75k.

I asked the mechanic to fix the cruise control problem (it does not work when I bought it). They also changed the timing belt to fix the weird ticking noise.

Here comes the new problem:

They claimed that they changed a new cruise control switch and fixed the cruise control. However, after I gonna test it, I start the car, and the yellow ABS light went on, it beeped and the red brake light started flashing (It never happened before). Will the changing timing belt work cause such problem? The mechanics tried to read the code and it shows that "cannot communicate with the module“. They claimed that the problem is the dead ABS control unit and I was asked about another $500 to fix it!!

Also, the claimed to be fixed cruise control does not work. Does it related to the dead ABS module? Or they actually not fix the cruise control?

Currently, the ABS yellow light occasionally goes off and sometimes comes back. If it is the dead ABS module, the light should keep on. Am I right? Is it possible that somewhere is loosely connected?

Any ideas guys? I do not know cars much. I do need your help and suggestion. Thank you.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear

There are cruise control DIY fixes

also ABS with flashing brake light is a bad module www.modulemasters.com
160 and your done.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Thankyou Saurus.
I will have a look at the MM.

Originally Posted by Audisaurus
There are cruise control DIY fixes

also ABS with flashing brake light is a bad module www.modulemasters.com
160 and your done.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Cruise control cannot work without a functioning ABS module. Definitely sounds like your module needs to be rebuilt. Also have a look at http://www.cheapabs.com , that's where my ABS module was rebuilt for $100.

When the ABS light goes away, does the blinking brake light also disappear? Sometimes the ABS module issue can be somewhat intermittent, but needs to be rebuilt regardless.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

Thank you MetalMan. The blinkin gbrake light also disappear after the ABS light goes away.

Is it possible that some wires are loose or the sensor is wrong? thank you.

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Cruise control cannot work without a functioning ABS module. Definitely sounds like your module needs to be rebuilt. Also have a look at http://www.cheapabs.com , that's where my ABS module was rebuilt for $100.

When the ABS light goes away, does the blinking brake light also disappear? Sometimes the ABS module issue can be somewhat intermittent, but needs to be rebuilt regardless.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

I don't know about crises control thing but the abs module went on mine last month and got it fixed for $50 bucks on eBay and came with warranty for life. The seller was ate1234 and did a great job u just have to ship it there and he ships it back to u for free

Old 05-08-2011, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Ment cruise not crisis typing on a android

Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by tonygump
Thank you MetalMan. The blinkin gbrake light also disappear after the ABS light goes away.

Is it possible that some wires are loose or the sensor is wrong? thank you.
Usually it is a loose solder joint on a super-small wire inside the module itself. Basically over time the wires vibrate and the solder joints lose their integrity, so a big portion (if not all) of the rebuilding process is re-soldering those wires.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks MetalMan, Very informative. That could explain why the light is on and off.
Since I am leaving for Texas from Virginia this week. I do not have time to send the module for rebuilding. Is it fine for me to drive such a long way? I think it will only disable the ABS function. Nothing else will be influenced. Am I right? Thank you.

Originally Posted by MetalMan
Usually it is a loose solder joint on a super-small wire inside the module itself. Basically over time the wires vibrate and the solder joints lose their integrity, so a big portion (if not all) of the rebuilding process is re-soldering those wires.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 AM

You will be fine to drive without the module in place. I drove without ABS for the first 8 months of owning my car. ABS is disable anyways whenever the ABS and brake lights are on.

Just make sure you use something to fully cover the ABS pump where the module goes (after it is removed). Wouldn't want any dirt or whatever getting in there.