B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AEB coil pack upgrade opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 PM
1st Gear
Default AEB coil pack upgrade opinion

I'm thinking of upgrading my coil packs but looking around i got options. Which options do you favor , some id have to cut and some I wont have to. Reason why im looking is because misfires/stumbles when i hit around 11psi boost but still kinda pulls ahead.

AEB to ATW
Soruce: 1998 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T AEB - ICM DELETE DIY

Or AEB to TFSI 2.0T
soruce: AEB engine 2.0T coilpack upgrade with INA adapter plates and 034 ICM delete kit

another link for AEB to 2.0T conversion but listed better
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ICM-Delete-***

Last edited by lanoiA4; 08-12-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Did you actually diagnose it to faulty coil packs? Throwing money and parts at misfires isn't a very good way of finding the problem. I spent months trying to track down misfires on my A6. The first thing the mechanic did was change the coil packs, and it solved nothing. I eventually tracked it down to a combination of 3 things, none of which were ignition-related.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by GoremanX
Did you actually diagnose it to faulty coil packs? Throwing money and parts at misfires isn't a very good way of finding the problem. I spent months trying to track down misfires on my A6. The first thing the mechanic did was change the coil packs, and it solved nothing. I eventually tracked it down to a combination of 3 things, none of which were ignition-related.
AEB coilpacks and ICM are a very common source of misfires, and are unnecessarily expensive to replace. We often have to throw parts ($$$) at our cars to diagnose issues... recently I dropped probably $600+ just on parts to diagnose a somewhat minor issue on my car, none of which actually fixed the problem. But now my car's got lots of new parts

To the OP: deleting the ICM is an excellent option. I did it as a preventative measure. My old ICM and AEB coilpacks are still in great shape. To answer your question: it depends how much you're willing to spend. I think I paid $50 for a harness from ECS, and another $20 on shrink tubing. My ICM delete isn't as clean as the 034 or INA options but it was a lot cheaper.

Currently I've got ATW bolt-down coilpacks and haven't had any issues, running NGK BKR7E plugs @ 0.028" gap. Soon I plan to upgrade to 2.0T coilpacks with either INA or 034 adapters, though, so I can run a gap of about 0.040".

Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

I got misfire in cyclinder 3 moved coil around and it followed the coil , i checked it first but i just didnt say it lol. But yea the newer fsi 2.0t sounds pretty good from what i read. Bigger gap , runs smoother, idleing, and some say improved mpg if you care about that stuff lol..

Last edited by lanoiA4; 08-14-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
AEB coilpacks and ICM are a very common source of misfires, and are unnecessarily expensive to replace. We often have to throw parts ($$$) at our cars to diagnose issues... recently I dropped probably $600+ just on parts to diagnose a somewhat minor issue on my car, none of which actually fixed the problem. But now my car's got lots of new parts

To the OP: deleting the ICM is an excellent option. I did it as a preventative measure. My old ICM and AEB coilpacks are still in great shape. To answer your question: it depends how much you're willing to spend. I think I paid $50 for a harness from ECS, and another $20 on shrink tubing. My ICM delete isn't as clean as the 034 or INA options but it was a lot cheaper.

Currently I've got ATW bolt-down coilpacks and haven't had any issues, running NGK BKR7E plugs @ 0.028" gap. Soon I plan to upgrade to 2.0T coilpacks with either INA or 034 adapters, though, so I can run a gap of about 0.040".
so since you did the conversion to ATW already. You can upgrade to the 2.0tfsi coil packs with just the adapter plate ?????
my question is??? is the Wiring/pinout for the ATW coil pigtail and 2.0tfsi coil pigtail the same then? I know you bought your harness but maybe thought u would know. Cause i got a harness from an AWM motor and the coil pack pigtail from this motor looks the same as ATW and 2.0tfsi coil pigtail.

The reason i ask is because im thinking of using this AWM (2002 passat) harness i got to do the coil pack conversion. I havent seen a wire diagram of this AWM coil yet but im waiting for this e-mail to view it lol.

Last edited by lanoiA4; 08-15-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by lanoiA4
so since you did the conversion to ATW already. You can upgrade to the 2.0tfsi coil packs with just the adapter plate ?????
my question is??? is the Wiring/pinout for the ATW coil pigtail and 2.0tfsi coil pigtail the same then? I know you bought your harness but maybe thought u would know. Cause i got a harness from an AWM motor and the coil pack pigtail from this motor looks the same as ATW and 2.0tfsi coil pigtail.

The reason i ask is because im thinking of using this AWM (2002 passat) harness i got to do the coil pack conversion. I havent seen a wire diagram of this AWM coil yet but im waiting for this e-mail to view it lol.
That's right! Today/tomorrow I'm receiving these:
4 of these:
Audi Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com
And these:
FSI Coil Adapter, 1.8T/2.7T/4.2L 5V - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

They are all compatible 4-pin connectors

Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
That's right! Today/tomorrow I'm receiving these:
4 of these:
Audi Parts - genuinevwaudiparts.com
And these:
FSI Coil Adapter, 1.8T/2.7T/4.2L 5V - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

They are all compatible 4-pin connectors
I hate to sound like an idiot, but I'm trying to get my head around this. I have a 2001 A4, 1.8 T, AWM motor. Does this mean that I can upgrade to the 2.0 coil packs simply by buying the coil packs and the adapter plates? I hope the answer is yes, because I'm sick and tired of replacing the regular coil packs.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nemick
I hate to sound like an idiot, but I'm trying to get my head around this. I have a 2001 A4, 1.8 T, AWM motor. Does this mean that I can upgrade to the 2.0 coil packs simply by buying the coil packs and the adapter plates? I hope the answer is yes, because I'm sick and tired of replacing the regular coil packs.

Thanks
Actually I don't think you need the adapter plates since your current coilpacks are already the push-down style. AEB heads need the adapter plates because they aren't intended to be used with push-down coils. Maybe somebody else will know for sure though.