B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

AEB Head On AWM Block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Guru

no you can't run an aeb head on an awm car, so you will need to send me the aeb head and i will send you my awm head....

Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Don't mind him, he's a troll

Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Dream on

Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
Either use your vvt tensioner out of the awm head or you will have to use the aeb tensioner and place a resisitor in the wire that should hook up to the vvt tensioner
Hi, I have the same problem and a bit worried... I bought AEB head on my AWM block, but my old CC tensioner is junk. Can you tell which resistor to place or anyone will do the job? Will it cause check engine light?
And one more, I live in Massachusetts - emission is going to be a problem for me, how do I reprogram SAI computer?
Thank you so much!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by alex.davidouski
Hi, I have the same problem and a bit worried... I bought AEB head on my AWM block, but my old CC tensioner is junk. Can you tell which resistor to place or anyone will do the job? Will it cause check engine light?
And one more, I live in Massachusetts - emission is going to be a problem for me, how do I reprogram SAI computer?
Thank you so much!
because you have emissions in mass, you will have problems running a non-vvt cct without it coded out. vvt on our cars is mainly used for startup emissions purposes, and you won't pass. if your old cct is junk, why not buy a new vvt cct and put that in the aeb head? if you want to use your non-vvt tensioner and pass emissions, you will have to have the vvt coded out of the ecu so the computer does not check readiness. the best person to talk to about this would be the forum member called k0mpressed over on audizine. he deals with this sort of thing all the time. however, you will also have to have the secondary air injection coded out since the computer checks readiness on that as well. again, talk to k0mpressed for these issues

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redline380
the best person to talk to about this would be the forum member called k0mpressed over on audizine.
He wrote my tune, and coded out SAI, secondary O2, and EVAP. Very good guy, very knowledgeable. 10/10, would bang.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear

FYI a resistor isn't enough to get rid of VVT, I have no idea where this misconception came from. A resistor will get rid of an open circuit code, but as soon as it tries to change the cam state it'll get a camshaft over-retarded error because it sees the adjuster isn't working. So no matter what, you'll need a custom tune. Better to just buy a new tensioner.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
FYI a resistor isn't enough to get rid of VVT, I have no idea where this misconception came from. A resistor will get rid of an open circuit code, but as soon as it tries to change the cam state it'll get a camshaft over-retarded error because it sees the adjuster isn't working. So no matter what, you'll need a custom tune. Better to just buy a new tensioner.
Guys, thanks you for replies!
For VVT i am planning to use my old part from AEB head, it should fit right in and connect without any problem. To get rid of SAI i will have to use 75 Om resistor, somebody told me that this trick works. And lastly i decide not to mess up with CCT and put a new used one.
I also have heard that one need to switch over some timing belt component as well, does anybody know which one for sure?
And since I use AEB head and manifold on AMB block which head gasket should I buy? Do I need both set because of different manifold?
Thank you!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

For proper VVT operation you need the tensioner and intake cam, so swap those over from your old head. Whoever told you about SAI has no idea how the diagnosis works. A resistor will do absolutely nothing apart from drawing power and heating up, there's no diagnosis for open circuit to the pump, only open circuit to the solenoid and measuring pump air flow. There might also be diagnosis for the relay, but I'm not too sure. Again, you'll need to get it coded out properly since the pump won't be flowing anything. You could resistor out the solenoid, but I don't' see the point of that because you already have a perfectly good solenoid already there.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by alex.davidouski
Guys, thanks you for replies!
For VVT i am planning to use my old part from AEB head, it should fit right in and connect without any problem.

And lastly i decide not to mess up with CCT and put a new used one.
From what it sounds like, you want to use the CCT from the AEB head when you put it all back together? If this is true, then I want to make sure you know that the AEB CCT doesn't have VVT. Only the AWM CCT has VVT, but you can install the AWM CCT in the AEB head.

What's a new used CCT?

Quick Reply: AEB Head On AWM Block?