B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket HU with harness install, need help

Old 11-09-2012, 05:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Aftermarket HU with harness install, need help

Hey guys, i just received my new headunit and i bought the bose harness since i got the bose system, heres the wires i have,

and this is the harness i need to connect wires to for my HU

Since i have the bose, i do not need to connect the white/gray wires for the speakers right? Im just gonna use the rca plugs? Also they tell me to put the blue wire in the harness above the yellow one, Is it the blue wire from the first pic that goes to the 2nd harness in the 2nd pic? They tell me to put it there and it will lock in place with the brass connector but it doesnt stay in place at all and im pretty sure its not the good way.

Also my head unit only has 2 rca output in the back, what do i do with the 4 rca connectors (purple, white, green, gray) which one do i plug into my headunit?

The 3rd pic shows the harness for the HU so i just match up the black, yellow, red, and thats it? the others wires on the HU harness does nothing since im plugging the other harness with the RCA for the rear amp right? They will control all my speakers if i understand

Sorry for all the pics and i searched and its a mess lol.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 AM
1st Gear

Also the Headunit harness comes with a big ground, Do i just cut it and match it with the black wire on the custom harness or i need to ground it somewhere?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

This is the connectors i got in the car,

I believe the one at the bottom is my antenna wire?

It had an aftermarket HU before and he didnt remove his antenna only the harness.

Also the blue/yellow/green connector, what does it do? I only need to plug my harness in the brown and black one right?

Sorry for all the questions im kinda lost. heh

Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

The first harness with the RCA plugs into the multi colored harness.

---->

The other two plug into the other two. The tabs will only allow one to go in the other so there is no way to screw that up.

The blue/white wire is the remote turn on for your amp so connect the blue/white wire from picture 1 to the blue/white wire in your third diagram.

---->

If you only have 1 set of RCA coming out of your deck you are going to run into problems. You can either get a set of Y splitters and connect them to the output of your deck and then to the front and back channels from the harness in the first picture. You will lose front to back fading but at least you will have sound out of both sets of speakers. Either that or take back your new deck and get the next model up with 2 sets of RCA's.

You can cut the ground from the head unit and attach it to the ground on your wiring harness.

Good luck.

Doug

Last edited by Cybersombosis; 11-09-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

Thanks alot for the input doug, ill try this out.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 AM
1st Gear

Just one more thing, in the bag of the harness i had a paper like this:

Do i need that blue wire, i dont wanna make a conflict with the K line and on the wire it says that it will conflict.

This is the blue wire they tell me to put into the harness connector:

Also if i understand right, i do not need to plug the gray/white wires from the harness to the HU harness since i use the rcas?

Thanks again for all the help you make my day lol.

lewis

Last edited by Lewis666; 11-10-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Which connector is the blue and white wire from in the picture above? If there is a blue/white wire on the orange connector in the same pin location as the switched pin in the multi colored connector corresponding to the diagram below then you don't need the blue/white wire.

It looks like it already is present in this diagram. Please confirm if it is a separate second wire or one in the same wire.

It looks like it might be the power antenna wire according to the wiring pin out diagram in the first picture.

Doug

Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

Its a seperate wire i had in the bag with the bose harness and the piece of paper that i showed you. They tell me to put it above the yellow wire on my harness ( the second one in my first post, the harness that connects to the brown and black connector) but theres only one blue/white wire coming from the HU harness and its for the blue/white wire on the rca harness ,right?

If i need that other blue wire, i got no other blue wire to match it to. The guy had a pioneer deck in the car before and if you can see in the pic of the connectors of my car theres already the plug for the antenna so it might have power to it already? I can see a bunch of wires and electric tape coming from that antenna wire.

Trying to understand the diagram you posted with the circled stuff but im lost lol.

Last edited by Lewis666; 11-10-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

Sorry about the circles. I used an old diagram from another post I made.

If you take this diagram

and turn it 90 degrees and match up the circled tabs on both pictures
<-->
You get A matching up with A which looks like the power antenna, not THE antenna. i.e. it would be the wire used to signal your power antenna to be extended if you had one. Since we don't use this wire, your extra blue/white wire is not needed.

Doug

Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 AM
1st Gear

Alright thanks a lot ill try to wire everything on monday on my day off. Ill let you know if everything goes fine,

again thanks, ur the man xD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU with harness install, need help