B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Air Conditioning/Fan noise at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Lightbulb Air Conditioning/Fan noise at idle?

Hey guys, I own a 2001.5 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t auto

I haven't posted in awhile and have an issue i need help with. I first noticed this ticking noise when i was going through a drive thru in the winter but never really thought anything of it. I heard it becuase the ticking sound is from under the car, and it reverberates off of the side of the building at the drive thru. You can hear it when at a stoplight next to a car when the noise reverberates off of the side of the car, as well as just walking around the outside of the car when it is in Park or at idle. This ticking noise occurs only when the car is at idle, around 800 rpms, when you tap the accelerator it goes away. I think it has something to do with the A/C or fan because the noise does not become audible until the air becomes cold or the car fully warms up.

The sound also only occurs when the a/c is turned on, when i turn the A/C off (ECON) the noise quiets drastically, but is still slightly audible. The same situation happens when i turn the whole climate control system off (OFF). The noise doesnt come from the cabin of the car, but comes from under the car where you would find the flex pipe, which is located in the center of the car and just a little behind the front wheels.

Its not causing any mechanical problems, the AC works fine, it is just somewhat loud and bothersome. IMO it makes the car sound kind of crappy. Any ideas/help as to what this could be appreciated.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Site Moderator

Check your diverter valve vacuum line. It runs in front of the timing belt cover between it and the fans. If it's lose from the "routing clip..?" it can touch the fans. Have you raised the hood for a closer look? That seems like step 1.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Check your diverter valve vacuum line. It runs in front of the timing belt cover between it and the fans. If it's lose from the "routing clip..?" it can touch the fans. Have you raised the hood for a closer look? That seems like step 1.
I checked the fans and the clips and lines and its all fine there isnt anything hitting. You can't really hear the noise from the engine bay. The noise becomes audible when you step to the side of the car. Its not anything with exhaust i dont think, but the noise is coming straight from where the flex pipe comes down from the engine and bends to run the length of the car.