B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Drain and Replace odd problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Drain and Replace odd problem

So i went about ordering a Blauparts kit to replace my transmission fluid on my 1998 audi a4 2.8l which is a triptronic automatic. i did this about 3 weeks ago. no problem.

the instructions from baluparts that came with the kit were simple enough.
here's a mellow version of the instructions
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...nsmissionfluid

NOW, i am helping my cousin with his ATF drain and replace. same car, same transmission. 2.8l 1998 a4 triptronic auto. BUT his transmission fluid pan is a little different. his drain plug is exactly where it should be (underbelly of the pan) but his tranny fill plug is also on the underbelly of the pan --- (IT IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE PAN LIKE THE INSTRUCTION/PICTURES THAT BLAUPARTS DESCRIBED AS SO
)

instructions are to fill tranny pan until the fluid runs out of the hole. but this pan has the hole on the bottom, so how would i go about knowing when i put enough fluid in if i use the fill hole that is going against gravity. i havent even begun to switch the car in different gears and topping off fluid yet because i can't determine the baseline amount as noted per instructions.

1) anyone know exactly how much fluid is needed in an automatic transmission? kit comes with 6 liters of fluid FYI

2) does anyone have bentley manual that the site says would know the exact amount for this version car?

3) I used almost 5 or so liters in my car AFTER topping it off after being put into each gear. so should i just go by that? i feel like a tranny isnt something i should say "o sure why not"

Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

4ish for a drain and fill
6ish for a drain, filter change, and fill

Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

You shouldn't guess, you should use VAG-COM while filling. When the fluid comes out the fill hole at 40C, you're done and you can put the plug back in(before you shut off the engine, or else you'll get a nice fluid shower!). I used almost 6 liters of new fluid on mine.

Btw, I think the fill hole on my 99.5 pan was on the bottom, too. To be honest I don't really remember.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

ty guys. yeah im planning on getting a vag com. but actually was just thinking of renting the stupid vag 1924 tool. has a funnel to fit into that filler hole. so im guessing 6 liters would be enough then? because all i have are 6 liters that came with the kit. don't want to start this and end up short

Old 06-17-2011, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Theres a sleeve inside the fill plug that sticks up into the oil pan about an inch to an inch and a half with a plastic splash cap on top of it. When you put the fill tube into it it has to fit between the splash cap and the sleeve (there are two rectangular slots in the side of the splash cap for the hose to pass thru). DO NOT push that cap off with the end of the hose or you will have transmission fluid pouring out before its full. Once its up in the air and level start the engine and start pumping the fluid (you need some kind of fluid pump to get fluid into the transmission) in as fast as you can. Have a buddy move the shifter thru all the gears staying in each one about 15 seconds. Don't let it fall off whatever is supporting it. Don't stop pumping till the fluid starts coming out as fast as you pump it in. A few little dribbles coming out does not necessarily mean its full. If you are measuring the transmission temp, let any that leaks out the fill hole drain until the transmission temp reaches 40 degrees C (104F) and then put the plug back in. Don't shut the car off until the plug is back in. Its better to be slightly overfilled than underfilled.

Last edited by Mark C; 06-17-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mark C
Theres a sleeve inside the fill plug that sticks up into the oil pan about an inch to an inch and a half with a plastic splash cap on top of it. When you put the fill tube into it it has to fit between the splash cap and the sleeve (there are two rectangular slots in the side of the splash cap for the hose to pass thru). DO NOT push that cap off with the end of the hose or you will have transmission fluid pouring out before its full. Once its up in the air and level start the engine and start pumping the fluid (you need some kind of fluid pump to get fluid into the transmission) in as fast as you can. Have a buddy move the shifter thru all the gears staying in each one about 15 seconds. Don't let it fall off whatever is supporting it. Don't stop pumping till the fluid starts coming out as fast as you pump it in. A few little dribbles coming out does not necessarily mean its full. If you are measuring the transmission temp, let any that leaks out the fill hole drain until the transmission temp reaches 40 degrees C (104F) and then put the plug back in. Don't shut the car off until the plug is back in. Its better to be slightly overfilled than underfilled.
thanks mark. will be doing this ASAP. got any suggestions on keeping the car on 4 jack stands while in gear safely? i usually put the jack lift under the dts point nearest me in case one stand gives i still got a good 3 seconds to high tail it out from under the car.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear

Being under the car while it's on all 4 jack stands is a bit unnerving at first, but if you have good jack stands, it's no problem.

That being said, I always put my floor jack on one of the lift points closest to me. Never can be too careful. One screw up like that can ruin your whole day!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jdahlen24
Being under the car while it's on all 4 jack stands is a bit unnerving at first, but if you have good jack stands, it's no problem.

That being said, I always put my floor jack on one of the lift points closest to me. Never can be too careful. One screw up like that can ruin your whole day!
HAHAHA it is! i actually put 8 stands
2 in front and 2 in rear plus the floor jack lifted to one point closest to me when under the car as a fail safe. no problems just nerves.

thanks for the input though. i told jeremy if he didnt hear from me soon that i was probably dead somewhere under my car.