B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

B5 1.8t battery light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 1.8t battery light on

Replaced battery and alternator, battery light came on and alternator wouldn't charged. Turns out I had a defective alternator. Took the alternator back and got a new one, and the battery light is still on.. So I recharged the battery and drove it to Advance to have them test the whole systems. They showed me that there's no voltage coming from the alternator and their alternator testing machine was broken so I filed another warranty claim on the alternator. I should be getting a new alternator by the end of the week. I'm planning on getting the new alternator tested prior to install this time around and if it's good what else could be the problem?

Old 12-28-2016, 08:25 AM
2nd Gear

Our alternators are internally regulated, so there really isn't much else it could be, aside from a bad connection to the battery itself.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Been waiting on the new alternator and as I said in the previous post, Once I got it tested before install and it was good. I put everything back and started the car and the battery light is still on. Ugh! I took the car to Advance to test the whole system and they said I wasn't getting any voltage to the alternator. Im completely stumped. I used a test light to see if I'm getting power to the alternator and the B+ wire lit up but not the D+ wire. The D+ wire on the alternator is the ground right? I'm thinking I have a bad ground somewhere. Can anyone point me to all the ground locations?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

Any part of the frame and anything metal - (non-Aluminum) that bolts to the frame is a ground. Try to find the most bare surface you can, since paint/grease/etc. will reduce conductivity.

Edit: I just realized that I read that wrong.

Here you go: https://www.google.com/search?q=engi...w=1280&bih=616

G/L