B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Best way to empty fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear
Default Best way to empty fuel tank?

Other than driving the car!

Seriously though can I get a little advice on this? I wanna get this old fuel out and cross that **** off the list of why's my car doesn't start.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

Holy Jebus, it still doesn't start?

I don't know the best way to get all the gas out, other than driving. Sorry. I just wanted to stop by and sympathize with your situation.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Other than dropping the tank and emptying it by hand...

Does it at least turn over? If you can get it to do that you could disconnect the "in" side of the fuel filter and use the fuel pump to pump the stuff into a bucket. How much gas are we talkin about here? If it won't turn over you can get access to the fuel pump by removing the back seat, then use a tester to apply 12v to the pump for the same purpose.

However I believe (by design) you can't drain the tank completely dry that way.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Slut

I take the fuel line off at my fuel pressure gauge, attach a long piece of rubber fuel line that can reach a bucket on the ground. Then you can use a power probe (or some type of jump wire) to put power to the fuel pump fuse socket, OR, pull out the fuel pump relay under the driver knee bolster and use a small jump wire to link the two sockets with the key in the on position.

I realize you dont have the luxury of just disconnecting a fuel pressure gauge like I do, but you can probably just pull one fuel rail off and take the injectors out of that, but it may be hard to get a bucket under it. Try disconnecting your fuel feed line somewhere and attaching a long hose like I said before. Maybe cut the rubber part somewhere and just use a pass thru fitting later to link it back up.
Good luck.
Oh, and btw, I'm not sure what your no-start condition is, but I doubt its bad gas. Usually a motor will fire but just run like dog *** if the gas is old.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jdahlen24
Holy Jebus, it still doesn't start?

I don't know the best way to get all the gas out, other than driving. Sorry. I just wanted to stop by and sympathize with your situation.
Yeah it still doesn't. Makes me want to die daily.

Originally Posted by CCA4
Other than dropping the tank and emptying it by hand...

Does it at least turn over? If you can get it to do that you could disconnect the "in" side of the fuel filter and use the fuel pump to pump the stuff into a bucket. How much gas are we talkin about here? If it won't turn over you can get access to the fuel pump by removing the back seat, then use a tester to apply 12v to the pump for the same purpose.

However I believe (by design) you can't drain the tank completely dry that way.
To go the fuel feed line route; what would keep me from burning my starter up? Or am I misunderstanding that method?

It's over half a tank, probably closer to 3/4, and yes, it does turn over. I'm not completely opposed to dropping the tank but am not sure exactly how much work we're talking about here.

What are my options as far as siphoning goes?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by FASTER
I take the fuel line off at my fuel pressure gauge, attach a long piece of rubber fuel line that can reach a bucket on the ground. Then you can use a power probe (or some type of jump wire) to put power to the fuel pump fuse socket, OR, pull out the fuel pump relay under the driver knee bolster and use a small jump wire to link the two sockets with the key in the on position.

I realize you dont have the luxury of just disconnecting a fuel pressure gauge like I do, but you can probably just pull one fuel rail off and take the injectors out of that, but it may be hard to get a bucket under it. Try disconnecting your fuel feed line somewhere and attaching a long hose like I said before. Maybe cut the rubber part somewhere and just use a pass thru fitting later to link it back up.
Good luck.
Oh, and btw, I'm not sure what your no-start condition is, but I doubt its bad gas. Usually a motor will fire but just run like dog *** if the gas is old.
Honestly idk what the problem is at this point. I'm just trying to rule **** out. Very frustrating. It's cranking but not firing, timing is set correctly and I have good compression on all cylinders.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DOC_DEPALMA
To go the fuel feed line route; what would keep me from burning my starter up? Or am I misunderstanding that method?

It's over half a tank, probably closer to 3/4, and yes, it does turn over. I'm not completely opposed to dropping the tank but am not sure exactly how much work we're talking about here.

What are my options as far as siphoning goes?
LOL yeah don't use the starter for 3/4 tank of gas. You could siphon it too but I would suggest using the electrical probe like Beau said. You could pop the tank-side line off the fuel filter and put 12v+ to the pump and use the fuel pump to just pump the tank out.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

Haha that's what I thought, just making sure I wasn't missing something obvious lol. I'll do it that way then. Thanks fellas!

Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Administrator

No worries man, just be careful if you're pumping it into a bucket. Contrary to popular belief, gasoline is actually quite flammable

P.S, 5000 posts bishes. I win teh internets.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

use a pump syphon.

Quick Reply: Best way to empty fuel tank?